12

I paced around our balcony, probably looking like a lunatic to anyone else who might have seen me

I paced around our balcony, probably looking like a lunatic to anyone else who might have seen me. Betty had shooed me away while she read the twins a bedtime story, and I made myself scarce, grabbing a hot shower, and then putting my pyjama pants on. I was too distracted to put anything else on, no shirt, not even my boxers, as I thought about what I had to do. I was playing with my phone as I walked, passing it back and forth between my hands.

Why was this so hard for me to do?

Well, what was I supposed to say? "Hey dad, it's Jug, sorry I haven't called you in forever, but hey, I have two kids now that I didn't tell you about, and you remember my childhood best friend that I spent my whole life crushing on? She's their mother. Cool, right? Anyway, you want to hire your son who disappears for nearly a year and doesn't call and tell you these kinds of things?"

Well, I had an idea of where I could start. Killing two birds with one stone. Giving Betty a much needed break and speaking to my dad. Having made this decision, I took a deep breath, unlocked my phone and clicked on my dads contact, calling him. It only rang three times before the familiar voice came on the other line.

"Hello?" My dads gruff voice answered. There was a bunch of noise in the background and I could only assume he was at the whyte wyrm.

"Hey, dad." I greeted stiffly. There was a moment before he spoke again, and before he did he called out for everyone to shut up for a second. It quieted down significantly almost immediately, and I sighed. The perks of being a gang leader, right?

"Jughead?" He asked, causing me to roll my eyes. Who else would it be? Unless Jellybeans voice suddenly got much deeper than it used to be.

"Yeah, it's me, dad." I say, and then take my bottom lip between my teeth.

"How are you, son?" He asks, his voice kinder now.

I sigh deeply. "I'm okay, I was actually wondering if you were free for lunch tomorrow? There's something I'd really like to speak to you about."

"Sure, uh, where?" He asks hesitantly, and I notice he's as nervous as I am.

"Is that even a question?" I try to joke, it works, as he laughs.

"Okay, sounds good.. I'll meet you at the place at lunchtime." He agrees.

"Thanks, dad." I say, and quickly say my goodbyes. Once we hang up, I sit back in the lounge chair, staring up at the night sky. Trying to see constellations, or even just a random pattern in the sky.

I quickly become distracted, as usual, by my thoughts. How had I gotten here? My life was near perfect. The perfect girl, the perfect kids. If I had the perfect job, would I be satisfied? Of course, I knew the answer. It was no. There would still be one thing standing in the way of my life being perfect, and that is Bettys ring finger being bare, her name being Cooper and not Jones.