07

Jughead - pov

Jughead - pov

It took a week for Betty and the twins to be released from the hospital, because of how early the twins were born, they wanted to make sure everything was alright. I'd taken to sleeping in the hospital bed with Betty, leaving only to go to work, but returning as soon as I could.

Veronica pulled me away for an hour, to go get another car seat, a bassinet and some boy things as of course, we had only prepared for Cora. We got to the checkout with our baby items, and the cashier smiled at us.

"You're expecting, I assume?" She asked. "Congratulations!"

"Nah," I answered, "this is one of my best friends. My girlfriend is in the hospital, she gave birth to twins. Trouble is we were only expecting one, and so," I gestured to the items, she laughed.

"That must have been a surprise." She said.

"To say the least." Veronica laughed.

"Well, I wish you all the best." She said to me as we gathered the bags to leave. I thanked her and Veronica and I walked out and headed back towards her car. She told me she would bring the stuff to the house and put it away while I went back to collect Betty and the twins.

I thanked her as she dropped me off at the hospital, and car seat in hand, I walked inside and to the elevator. I rode it to the fourth floor and walked through security and towards where my little family was. I hesitated at the door, hearing Betty talk to someone over the phone.

"It's just so surreal - you know?" She said. "To think I went from crushing on Archie to being here with Jughead." She sighed, "I never could have imagined it."

My heart sank when she spoke of having a crush on Archie. Was she saying that she regretted being with me? Did she wish the kids were his?

"I just think about it all, how so easily my life could have turned out so differently." She said. "One moment changed everything for me."

I was about to take a step back and go to get some air when she continued. "I don't regret anything, Polly." She said. "Well, maybe one thing."

I wanted to know what she regretted, so I stayed, leaning against the wall and listening.

"Taking so long to realize I wanted to be with Jughead." My lips twitched at her words, and I rested my head against the wall. "The first night we were together.. he made me feel so perfect and beautiful and cared for even though we were both drunk."

My eyes drifted shut, and I thought back to that night.

Smut warning.