04

*possible smoking tw*

Texas Hold 'EmJuly 28, 1968

Texas Hold 'Em
July 28, 1968

Since the party, Georgia hadn't seen any of the boys except Soda. She'd worked every night since, and one double shift. Soda had stopped in one morning for some pancakes to go. He'd lost a bet to Steve and owed him breakfast. Soda had also asked when Georgia's birthday was.

"Remember how you said you're almost 21?" Georgia nodded as she brought Soda's pancakes over, "Yeah so when's your actual birthday?"

"August twelfth," she smiled, pushing the to-go box across the counter.

"Ooh, you're a leo. Very interesting. Mine's October eighth, so I'm a libra," Sodapop seemed very proud of this. Georgia stood there dumbfounded.

"You're into horoscopes?" she laughed.

"Oh yeah, I think they're cool. Anyway, I just wanted to know your birthday so we can celebrate. You came to Pony's so it's only fair," Soda handed Georgia the money he owed.

"No, no parties. I don't want to make you do that. Besides you're really the only one of the gang I ever see, I feel like it would be rude. Plus, I'm not sure I'd consider what I did at Buck's 'celebrating Pony's birthday'," Georgia handed Soda his change.

"Well, then I guess you'll just have to come over tonight and hang with us," Soda reasoned.

Georgia sighed, "I get off at five. Now go bring Steve his cakes before they get cold."

Sodapop beamed as he left. Georgia continued with her day. She was grateful that someone as kind as Soda had chosen to be her friend, but she couldn't help but feel like she was intruding. The gang had such a strong bond between them from what she could see. She didn't want to waltz in and destroy that. On the other hand, she felt bad saying no to Soda, since he'd been nothing but nice the entire time they'd known each other. He was Georgia's first and only real friend in a long time, and she didn't want to lose that.

At three in the afternoon, a maintenance man came over to fix the AC unit. It took almost no time.

"Wire got loose," he said, "here's the bill." He left quickly.

Georgia stuck the bill in a pile of other things the manager had yet to look at. Not long after, cool air finally filled the diner.

The last two hours dragged. It wasn't busy, and Georgia has been there since 5:30 in the morning after agreeing to switch shifts with another girl. She was sick of standing, and she was sick of bad tips, but there was nothing she could do.