08

*drug mention (weed)*

Birthday Cake

August 12, 1968

She knew there was no way to avoid it. Soda was going to throw her a party whether she liked it or not. She had tried every possible way of arguing with him but nothing seemed to get through. Lonnie had given Georgia two days off since Paulette's had finally been able to hire another waitress. This meant that Georgia spent the entire day before her birthday sleeping. So, she couldn't possibly use the excuse of being tired to get out of a party. It was inevitable.

She had yet to do anything other than taking a shower. It was three in the afternoon and she was bored out of her mind. She didn't know if she should just show up at the Curtis' and act surprised, or wait for someone to get her. It was all too much thinking for her.

She had eaten what little food remained in her fridge and watched reruns on her tv. She hadn't even changed out of her robe. She knew there would be a party, and she knew she'd have to go, but she didn't plan on getting ready until then. She flopped backward on her bed and stared at the ceiling. The unknown was killing her.

By 6:30, Georgia was actually starting to wonder if she'd been wrong all along. She finally changed into another plain outfit and was now standing in front of her small bathroom mirror. The counter she leaned on was bare except for a single tube of lipstick. It was the exact one her mother used to wear. She'd bought herself one upon moving to Tulsa. It was one memory of Chicago she wanted to keep with her. When she ever racked up the nerve to put it on though, it filled her with sadness. The last remaining memory of her mother was a tube of Chanel lipstick that she couldn't even open.

Tonight was different. Something had changed. When she popped off the cap, the overwhelming despair that normally enveloped her didn't come. In fact, the feeling of seeing the unused rouge was almost bittersweet. With a sigh, Georgia brought the color to her lips and applied it gently. It had cost her quite a bit of her money, and breaking it on her first use was not her intention. After carefully rubbing her lips together, she looked at her face. She took it in completely, and for the first time, she realized she looked just like her mom. A single tear trailed down her cheek which she quickly wiped away.

I miss you, Momma.

At 7:00, Georgia gave in and decided to drive to the Curtis'. She had given up on waiting and thought maybe this was Soda's plan all along. He knew dragging her away wouldn't have the same effect as luring her into a trap, and he was right. He was too smart for his own good.

The drive over was peaceful. The air was warm, but not stifling. None of her hair had gotten stuck on her lips. Georgia felt fearless.