06

Maple SyrupJuly 29, 1968

Maple Syrup
July 29, 1968

Dally and Georgia had fallen asleep at some point during the night. Neither stirred until Two-Bit tapped on the window, waking them both up. Dazed and confused, Dallas cranked down the window to face a very amused Two-Bit.

"You two look terrible," he grinned.

"You try sleepin' in a car in the middle of nowhere," Dally grumbled. Georgia rubbed her eyes furiously. She'd slept with her contacts in which made her eyes extremely dry. Luckily, she'd remembered to put the top up, so they weren't covered in dirt.

"Well, I brought plenty of gas, so you can fill up and follow me back," Two-Bit slapped the top of the car and headed to the back to find the gas cap. In no time the car was filled and they were ready to go. Georgia got out and walked to the driver's side doors.

"Keys," Georgia outstretched her hand toward Dallas. With much disdain, he handed over the keys, slid into the passenger's seat, and they were off. Two-Bit drove fast, so in turn, Georgia did too. It wasn't like she didn't enjoy it, but she didn't want to get pulled over.

"So..." Dally began, "How'd you sleep?"

Georgia tried her hardest to fake an angry face but couldn't. "Terribly," she smiled, "roadside 'Murder Motels' don't make great sleeping areas."

"Look, I really am sorry. Plus, I still owe you food. When we get back I'll take you," Dally was sincere. He truly confused her. She knew something in him was kind, but she could tell there was something in him that was shut off. It was like everything was a front.

"I'm not mad, don't worry. Despite being a disaster, I had fun. First time I've done something spontaneous in a while."

The two settled into a comfortable silence for the rest of the drive. The radio played softly in the background. The only interaction they had was when Dally had asked Georgia if he could bum another cigarette, to which she replied, "If you ash it in here I'll hurt you."

When the Tulsa city sign came into view, Two-Bit pulled off one way, and Dallas tried to Georgia toward a restaurant.

"I'm gonna run to my apartment quickly and fix my contacts. My eyes are burning," Georgia rubbed them again. How she'd managed to drive was beyond her, but she didn't dwell on it.

They pulled into the building lot and Georgia climbed out of the car. Dally, unaware, stared ahead through the windshield.

"You can come in," she laughed softly.

As Dally got out, he looked at the car, seemingly for no reason.

"I just noticed you've got Oklahoma plates," Dally looked perplexed.

Georgia felt cold sweat bead at her forehead. She'd never thought about what she'd say in this situation, so she quickly thought up a lie.

"Had them changed right when I got here, laws and all, you know," she shrugged. Dally nodded but she could tell he wasn't buying it.