07

NightmaresAugust 10, 1968

Nightmares
August 10, 1968

Work had been hard for the past two weeks. She had nothing to look forward to in her attempt to avoid the gang. The AC had broken again. Louise had finally quit, though it had been coming for a while. Georgia was slammed with shifts. While it helped keep her mind occupied, there was always something screaming at her deep down. Not only that, but her birthday was in two days, and she'd likely have no one to spend it with.

At 6:30 in the morning, there was nothing to be heard except the slow drip of the coffee pot. Georgia had been in for almost 9 hours, and still had two to go. Louise's absence had brought the mood down as well as made the only three waitresses work abnormally long shifts. The only perk of this was that, if by some chance, she ran into the gang, she'd have a valid excuse for being gone.

Lonnie had noticed that Georgia had been off, and had tried to talk to her about it, but unfortunately, she was unable to find the words. She'd said she fought with a friend which seemed to convince him. However, she knew if this continued, lying was going to be much harder.

At 8:15, a tan brunette boy came wandering in, looking for Georgia. She'd been in the back getting more napkins, but she could tell by the voice it was Soda. She slowly walked towards him, setting the napkins down on the counter. His face didn't show his normal happy demeanor. He looked concerned, and even more upset than he had been on the porch the other day.

"Lost another bet to Steve?" Georgia asked half-heartedly, though she already knew the answer.

"No," he scratched his head, he looked uncomfortable, "I'm checkin' in on you. You disappeared.'

"Yeah, I, uh..." she trailed off, "I've been super busy here. Louise quit so I had to pick up shifts."

This didn't appear to satisfy him. She doubted that Dally had expressed his confusion at her departure two weeks earlier, but she had been incognito for a while.

"Is that actually true?" Soda asked. His face was blank. Georgia glanced up at the clock.

"I get off in ten, can we talk then?" she sighed. She had ten minutes to figure out what to say. The same cold sweat started down her back.

Just relax.

Soda nodded curtly.

Georgia reached in her apron and grabbed her keys. She slid them over the counter and Soda looked up, "Wait in the car."

The ten minutes passed faster than she expected. At 8:30, she untied her apron, took the tips from the pocket, hung it on a hook, and headed out to her car. She found Soda in the driver's seat as she expected. She slipped in the passenger door and sat quietly. Neither spoke for a while.

"What's goin' on Georgia? You hang out with Dal and then disappear? Did he do somethin', or try somethin' because if he did, I'll kill him."

"No, oh my god, no, it's not that," Georgia shook her hands frantically. Is that what they all thought? That Dally had done something? Had she made him look bad in front of all of his friends?