Hiccup

Stoick the vast held his little boy in his arms. His verdant green eyes stared out across the island. "This is berk, son" Hiccup's father said in his low, throaty accent. His eyes grazed across their homeland, a sparkle setting in them. He had an emulous way of speaking. "It's our home." His father looked down at him. "It was the home of your grandparents, and their grandparents before them."

The man stood tall, his arms moving each time he spoke. "My job as chief is to protect us, Hiccup." Hiccup's father looked down at him. "One day, when you're all grown up, that job will be passed onto you." Stoick said, pointing at him with his bulky finger. Hiccup nodded. "Okay..." He whispered." It is very important, son. Because out there, beyond the sunset, lies the home of the dragons." The red head said, pointing to the lurid horizon. Hiccups eyes widened. "Wow."

"Aye, legends tell of ships that sailed too close to it, only to drop of the edge of the world" His voice was raspy at the end. He kept pointing to the margin. "Never to been seen again." Hiccup let out a meager gasp. "But those sailors who turn back, tell tails of a great waterfall." Time seemed to stand still as he spoke. "...And dragons guarding the entrance to a hidden world." Hiccup stared up at his father. "Whoa." His father was lost in speech.

"Not just a nest, Hiccup, but a land to which all dragons come." Hiccup looked up at his father, speaking up. "Even night fiery's?" His father chuckled. "Especially night fiery's." Hiccup looked down. "Mm those are scary." He gulped when he said this. "Don't you worry, one day I'll find the hidden world. And seal it up, so that people and dragons will fight no more."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiccup crawled down the stairs, the shadows creeping behind him. His little dragon was held tightly by his small arm. He looked up and his mouth went into a straight line. His eyes were wide, he watched his father cry almost silently. He tried to creep back upstairs but the stairs creaked. His father looked back at him. "Son." He stated, not loudly. He wiped his eyes. "You should be asleep." He said, and Hiccup hid away.

"I was thirsty..." He whispered. Hiccup's father sighed, his shoulders lowering. Stoick smiled and waved him over. "Yeah, come here." Hiccup smiled and crawled down the stairs. He hopped into his fathers lap and helped him stoke the fire. Hiccup spoke up. "Dad? A-are you gonna get us a knew mom?" He looked up at his dad. His father squeezed him and kissed Hiccup's head. "I don't want another. Your mom was the only woman made for me."

Stoick grabbed Hiccups little body and rocked side to side a little. "She was the love of my life." He sighed, the fire flickered loudly. "But with love comes loss, son. It's part of the deal. Sometimes it hurts, but in the end it's all worth it." Hiccup was turned to face his father. "There's no greater gift than love."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The tall pine trees gave a sent that stung the nose of a young boy, walking alone. He hugged himself as the chilly morning air made his breath float into the air. He looked up at the grey sky and walked quicker. He woke up early most days, escaping from his fathers booming voice. He was the chief's son after all, he was expected to kill a dragon!

He hated thinking about it. Hiccup's tiny hands were hidden inside his sleeves. He reached his favorite place, the clearing. It was always quiet and peaceful. He had found it on the day he was being chased by the other village kids. Hiccup, only being ten at the time, was terrified. It had been a year before, and he had escaped here many times. He sat down against a tree and continued drawing the landscape. It didn't change much, so he could add little details each time he came here. He was almost finished with each detail. Hiccup held up his notepad and compared it. He smiled at the perfect resemblance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiccup woke up suddenly, the air was warmer. He heard many people talking, he then realized it was the other kids in the village. Oh no no no why here? Why now?! Hiccup gasped and covered his mouth. He hid behind the tree and watched them walk into the clearing. "Why are we here Astrid?" He heard Fishlegs ask. "I already told you a million times Fishlegs, I saw Hiccup come here, seen him come here many times."