Rapunzel

Rapunzel sang softly as her mother brushed through her hair. It's golden glow lit up the dark room. "Save what has been lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine." Her mothers hands, wrinkly and old looking just moments before, had changed into soft, young hands. She had let her golden hair grow long and beautifully. Rapunzel had yet to understand why her mother never cut it. Her mother sighed in happiness, her young and beautiful self back. "Why can't I go outside?" Rapunzel asked in her youthful voice.

"The outside world is a dangerous place, with horrible selfish people. You must stay here where you're safe." She stared at the flickering fire. "Do you understand, flower?" She nodded a little. "Yes Mommy..." She whispered. Her mother let her hair go and Rapunzel stood up. She hugged her mother and walked up the small staircase on the side of the wall. It circled around with the wall, after all Rapunzel did live in a tower. She closed to curtain to her room, and laid in bed, waiting for the light from the fire to go out. It was her fifth birthday today, and she was excited for the lanterns.

She had discovered on her fourth birthday that on that night thousands of lanterns floated in the sky, above her tower. The fire ceased to flicker, and the amber light disappeared. Rapunzel waited an extra few minutes, it was hard for the now five year old but, she was patient. She crept down the stares quietly. Rapunzel used her small arms to throw open the large wooden hatch, provided as the only true window. She gasped and laid her chin down on her tiny hands.

The golden star-like lanterns floated in a trail across the sky. She couldn't help but think it was an arrow, pointing to some lost location. This was Rapunzel's favorite day of the year. She laid her head in the crook of her arm and watched in awe as the line of beauty painted its way across the night sky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rapunzel laughed as she danced around her tower. The morning cleaning was done and she imagined she was at a ball, like the dances in her books. She placed her arms on the air, and spun around with her imaginary prince. She sighed and twirled over to her "window" and stared out at the same view. It always awed her. What would it be like to feel the green grass? To feel the leaves on a tree? She started to sing. Her voice carried out into the area her tower stayed. She closed her eyes. Rapunzel sang a made up melody, made from the loneliness of her and her heart.

(sorry if this song is long, I changed it cause the other one was cringy and weird, plus this one...it just describes Rapunzel's situation. It's also one of my favorite songs)

I know you've got the best intentions- Just trying to find the right words to say- I promise, I've already learned my lesson- But right now I wanna be not okay- I'm so tired, sitting here waiting- If I hear one more "Just be patient"- It's always gonna stay the same- So let me just give up- So let me just let go- If this isn't good for me- Well I don't wanna know- Let me just stop trying- Let me just stop fighting- I don't want your good advice- Or reasons why I'm alright- You don't know what it's like- You don't know what it's like- Can't stop these feet from sinking- And it's starting to show on me- You're staring while I'm blinking- But just don't tell me what you see- I'm so over all this bad luck- Hearing one more "Keep your head up"- Is it ever gonna change?- So let me just give up- So let me just let go- If this isn't good for me- Well I don't wanna know- Let me just stop trying- Let me just stop fighting- I don't want your good advice- Or reasons why I'm alright- You don't know what it's like- Yeah, you don't know what it's like- Don't look at me like that- Just like you understand- Don't try to pull me back- Let me just give up- Let me just let go- If this isn't good for me- Well I don't wanna know- Let me just stop trying- Let me just stop fighting- I don't want your good advice- Or reasons why I'm alright- You don't know what it's like- Yeah, you don't know what it's like- You don't know- You don't know- You don't know- Yeah, you don't know what it's like- You don't know what it's like- Yeah, You don't know- You don't know- You don't know what it's like- Yeah, you don't know what it's like.