Merida

Merida giggled as her mother searched around the clearing. The beige tent set up for the royalty's convenience had a wooden table stowed before it. The fiery red hair of the young madden framed her face, and she covered her mouth to muffle the simper. The sounds of birds filled the crispy pine forest air. "Where are you?" The brunette woman said, lurking around the table. Her mauve dress swept across the grass. "Come out, come out!" Elinor's rich Scottish accent was a melody to the six year old.

Along with the purple dress, Merida's mothers long hair grazed along the ground. "Come on out." Merida kept her giggles quiet, but her mother would soon find her. Elinor surreptitiously snuck around the table. "I'm coming to get you..." Merida watched her mothers feet. Her mother was close to her. "Where are you, you little rascal. I'm coming to get you!" Elinor rushed to look under the table, but to no avail was Merida there.

She had slipped out from under the table, and over behind various weapons. Elinor stood up and faced out towards the sea. "Where is my little birthday girl?" Merida was going to make a run for it. "I'm going to gobble her up when I find her." The brave girl ran past her mother, but was caught, "Oh!" Merida screamed as her mother snatched her. "I'm going to eat you." Her mother tickled her and teased Merida by making gobbling noises.

A loud thump interrupted their game. Merida's father had tossed his bow onto the table. "Ugh, Fergus, no weapons on the table." Merida lurched upright and over towards the table "Can I shoot an arrow please, can I can I can I?!" Merida said, grabbing the bow, and falling over. She giggled when gravity forced her to the ground.

Her father chuckled. "Not with that." He got a quizzical look. "Why not," He reached behind him and pulled out a bow her size. "Use you very own!" Merida gasped, her eyes aghast. "Happy birthday my wee darlin'" She hunched over, excitement written across her expression.

-

The family gathered arrows and a target was set. Each arrow the girl shot missed. Not once did they hit the target. The woman stood anxiously behind Merida and her father. Merida pulled back, the hard string making it ever so difficult. "Now there's a good girl, draw all the way back now, to your cheek, that's right. Keep both eyes open, and, loose."

The bow jerked upwards, and the arrow went flying. She sighed sadly. "I missed..." Elinor came up behind Merida and knelt down. "Go and fetch it, then." Merida handed the bow to her mother, and took off running into the woods. The fresh pastoral trees surrounded her as she searched for the arrow.

Her claret curly hair kept flying into Merida's face, so she lost her balance ever now and then. She brushed her hand along a bush, excitement and joy filled her spirits. She suddenly realized she was lost, her eyes scattering along the unfamiliar landscape. It smelled nice in these woods. Merida hopped over a fallen tree branch. She suddenly spotted the arrow and grabbed it.

A snap echoed around her, and she suddenly knew she wasn't alone. Her fearful eyes searched around, and then she saw it. A wisp. "A will-o'-the-wisp." Merida whispered. She gasped excitedly and followed it. She reached out, and the blue misty light disappeared. "They are real..." A trail of the beautiful spirits led her out of the forest. She heard her name and ran back to her mother.

"Come along, sweetheart, we're leaving now." Her tiny feet carried her back "I saw a wisp!" Out of breath, Merida stopped in front of her parents. "I saw a wisp." Her mother leaned over. "A wisp! You know, some say that will-o'-the-wisp lead you to your fate." Merida beamed excitedly. "Oh aye, or an arrow." Her father said, misconception in his voice. "Come on lets be off." He said while walking away. "Before we see a dancing tatty bogle, or a giant having a jidger in the bluebells."

Elinor sighed and picked Merida up. "Your father doesn't believe in magic." Merida held onto her mother. "Well he should, because it's true." Merida heard a noise, and gasped. She let out a scream, a large bear stood over the girl and her mother. The beast growled and Fergus let out a yell. "Mor'du! Elinor, run!" He said aloud, and a guard threw him a spear. "Sire!"