Kristoff

Kristoff's tears soaked his small cheeks, and he closed his eyes. His parents, both in wooden coffins, underneath the ground, were dead. Obviously. Stupid ice, stupid water... His father had died from falling in the icy water, and now...his mother dead because of the sadness, the depression. He couldn't believe they were gone. Gone. What did that mean? The priest closed his book, and Kristoff sighed sadly. The ice harvesters, his father's dearest friends started to throw the dirt on top of the wooden boxes. 

The closest man to Kristoff's father, Henrik, patted his shoulder and walked away. Kristoff shook his head, knowing nothing could change this. He knew that he would have to be strong. He turned away from the now covered grave. A woman walked up to him, her smile looked warm. "Alright Kristoff, time to go." He was confused, and it obviously showed. "To the orphanage." She finished, and his eyes welled up with more tears. "Oh Kris I'm so sorry..." She cooed and reached for him.

 He pulled away, anger and sadness in his eyes. "Only my parents called me Kris." He stated and walked over to her horse drawn sled. He climbed up into the black carrier, and waited for her. She smiled a quick, weak, smile as the horses pulled them towards the orphanage, thirty minutes on horse-drawn sled. Her voice slipped through his ears, his non caring six year old self not listening. "Kristoff, Kristoff." She said loudly, trying to get his attention. 

He snapped into reality. "Y-yeah?" He said in his high pitched voice, barely audible. She grabbed his hand softly."I know this is hard, but I'm going to help you through this." He looked into her deep brown eyes, close to the color of the sled. "Okay." He pulled his hand from hers, and looked away. The ride was long, and Kristoff fought back tears all the way. The orphanage looked cozy, but nothing was going to keep Kristoff inside. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The floor creaked as Kristoff climbed out of the small twin bed he now slept on. It had been one week, and Kristoff knew he couldn't stay here. The room was filled with other orphaned boys, their snores and sighs annoyed him. So he decided to sneak out. Each step, each creak, terrified him. He had been warned of the punishments. They weren't exactly horrible, but more chores would be added. More work, more cleaning, more everything. 

Kristoff didn't mind work, he minded cleaning. Cleaning was horrible. The door to the boys room slammed shut and he took of running. Kristoff hadn't closed it quietly, now he would pay the price. If they caught him. His pillow was fluffed and situated, to where it looked like he still laid in deep slumber. He had also grabbed the cleaning mop that looked sort of like his hair. Convincing enough in the dark, even with candle light. 

Kristoff was now a long ways away from the orphanage, and his heavy breaths echoed through the forest. He jumped at the sound of a bush rustling. Kristoff started to shake, fear gripping him. A small grunt came from the bush, and a baby reindeer hopped out. Kristoff squeaked, like a mouse. The reindeer jumped back in surprise, then smiled. It was a human like grin, and Kristoff instantly felt  connection. "Are you lost?" He spoke softly, not wanting to scare it off. The reindeer made a grunting noise in reply. Kristoff laughed and hugged the deer-like creature. "Well, let's go on an adventure." Kristoff spoke proudly, the sadness of his parent's deaths sinking away. Now all he needed was a name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I think I'm gonna call you...Sven!" The reindeer bucked its head into Kristoff's side in agreement. Kristoff laughed and shoved him away as the walked. He suddenly heard talking, and ducked down. It was Henrik! And all of the other icemen. Kristoff suddenly had an urge. And urge that he should go with them. He shook his head and crawled away. 

Once he reached about one hundred yards, he took off running. Sven followed behind, his grunts and bray's sounded ever so close. Kristoff slowed a little, feeling out of breath. He ushered Sven over to the horse stables, and hid him under the hay. I'll be back in the morning." He whispered and shuffled away quickly. Kristoff's shoes were off as he snuck all the way to the boys room once more. Luckily, nobody was there and his pillow still sat in the same position. He crawled under the fleece blankets and drifted off to sleep, comforted by the thought of seeing Sven in the morning.