Jack

Jack waited excitedly outside of his parents room. The dusty floors creaked from the weight of people on the other side of the door. Muffled talking was heard, and Jackson Overland couldn't bear the tension any longer. Just as he was about to bust open the rustic wooden door, the doctor came out of the room. The mans face said that there was nothing but luck when it came to Jack's mother giving birth. "Well?" The eight year old waited impatiently. "Go in and meet your sister."

The doctor said, smiling. He then left the house, with the door slamming shut on his way out. Jack was very excited. He had a sister! He brushed his brown hair out of his eyes as he entered the room. His identical mother laid in the creaky bed, a beautiful girl in her arms. Jack gasped, and rushed to her side. His mother smiled. "Meet Mary Emma Overland, your sister." His mother said tiredly. Jack hopped onto the bed next to her. "Hi Mary..."

He whispered. Margaret ran her hand over his hair, and kissed the top of his head. "You're going to be such a great brother." She uttered, and started to drift off to sleep. Jack held Mary in his arms for hours, he was so mesmerized by her. "I'm never letting you out of my sight..." He whispered.

---------------------------------------

Mary had just started talking, and I was so excited. "Hey Mary can you say my name?" Jack asked excitedly. "J-a" She tried. "Jac- Jack." She finally said, her brown hair framing her face. "Yes! Yes Mary that's my name!" He beamed, practically glowing. Mary was his sun, his world, his everything.

Jack ran around with Mary in his arms, trying to make her world as happy as possible. She had made his world everything, so she deserved the same. The green grass underneath his feet made him laugh. His mother always called him the "Spirit of Fun." Jack had been energetic and crazy since he could crawl. Mary's adorable giggle filled his ears and that was the music he loved hearing.

---------------------------------------

Mary ran behind jack as he waved to his mother. "Come on Jack you can't have fun all the time." She stated, but he just shrugged and continued running. "Come on Mary!" He yelled and splashed into the warm lake. The sun shone down on the picnic area, the family came here about every 6 months. Jack's younger cousins were expected to arrive soon. The two didn't care much about how wet their clothes got, so the continued on with soaking each other. Soon the laughter of four children rang throughout the forest. Their mothers set up the food and what-not.

After a long hour in the water, the kids had laid out on the grass to dry off. Mary played with her cousins while Jack watched the fun. People always said wherever Jack went he radiated joy and excitement. He climbed up into a tree to make the kids laugh. Mary spoke worriedly. "Jack get down from there!" All the while the cousins were laughing. The air smelled nice, pine trees and spring grass. Jack continued to hang upside down, then he fell out of the tree, only receiving a small scratch on his arm.

----------------------------------------

When the family arrived home, Jack decided to play a little game, never resting. It was dark outside and they lit a heated fire. The light cast a ghostly glow on the house and Jack grabbed a pair of antlers ears from his father's hunting trips. He moved in an awkward position, making the children laugh. "Jack you're funny." The little blonde spoke. Giggles still echoed around them.

The night was long, and soon the children went to sleep. Jack laid beside his sister to help her sleep. She always cried about a monster hiding in her room. Jack didn't blame her, she was a nine year old girl. If he was being honest with himself, the dark always seemed to hide the worst secrets. He hummed some random melody he came up with. It seemed to soothe her, because within minutes, the brunette was softly snoring. Jack slid out of the bed in an awkward angle, not wanting to wake her. He threw the brown knitted quilt onto her small body, and crept out of the room.