Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"I'm Ellis." I told him, pulling my hand from my pocket for him to shake. He glanced down at my hand for a moment before taking a small step back. His face was still a little cold and distant. I slowly put my hand back into my warm pocket. A little taken back by his behavior. I looked to see if there were anyone else around, suddenly feeling a bit uncomfortable in this man's presence.

"I'm Lenon." he spoke up, taking my gaze off the empty road ahead of us. I nodded in response. "We should probably get you home."  he added awkwardly.

"You don't need to walk me home Lenon. I appreciate you checking on me. I can see how pathetic I might have looked." I laughed off my brainsick behavior. He narrowed his eyes at me. Which in turn frightened me a bit.

"A Luna is never pathetic." He almost growled. I jumped at his manner. He covered his eyes with his hand, pressing his lips together.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you. Just let me take you home." he insisted. A part of me was still eerie of him, but I nodded and let him walk me home. The name Luna lingered in my mind. I led the way with him close to my side. He was so interesting. His behavior was odd, yet it felt like he was just trying to be nice.

"What do you do?" he asked, breaking the silence. I glanced over to him and watched as he kept his gaze focused on the sidewalk.

"I'm still in high school, but I'm graduating next week. I actually just lost my dream job yesterday." I didn't know why I was oversharing information. I guess this internship was truly my breaking point. I felt him lift his gaze from the sidewalk.

"I'm really sorry..." he spoke as if it were his fault. I shook my head. "Everything happens for a reason. What do you do?" I asked, changing the subject. It took a moment for him to respond.

"I'm in school too, not high school. College." he replied. I smiled at him. "What college?" I was curious about him.

"Right now I'm at Chemeketa. But I'm transferring to Oregon University for medicine." he seemed to be opening up the more we talked.

"Im going to Chemeketa in the fall." I told him excitedly. He smiled. "what for?" he asked genuinely interested. "I'm getting my general classes out of the way then hoping to transfer to George Fox for journalism." I always felt so excited talking about what I wanted to do for a career. I've had this plan since freshman year.

"Wow, you've got big plans." he said. I couldn't stop staring at him, something about him seemed so different. We finally made it to my house. He walked me all the way up to the front door.

"Thanks for walking me. It's nice to know I'll at least know one person in college. Most people I know are going straight into University." I stuffed my hands in my pockets and leaned back on my heels. "it would probably be a good idea for you to go straight to University too." his statement almost sounded like a warning.

" I would have applied, but I thought I was going to continue with my internship, so I wanted to stay close to home." I explained. His intense eyes met mine. He looked as if he were going to say something, but refrained.

"it was nice meeting you Ellis." he settled. "likewise Lenon." I watched as He made his way down the driveway and back to the road.

"Stop squirming." my mom hissed. "Mom, it's way too close to my ear." I complained, slowly moving my head further from the curling iron. I watched her reflection in the mirror while she rolled her eyes. "I have two more pieces, quit complaining." she huffed.

I sat and watched as my mom combed through my dark loose curls. She always enjoyed doing my hair. When Rachel was born she was so excited. My mom was very much a girly mom and was looking forward to dresses, makeup, and beautiful hairdos. I chuckled to myself, realizing how opposite Rachel and I were from the 'textbook' daughters she expected. Anyone would be lucky to see my hair down from its messy bun. Today was special though. Graduation day.