Chapter 2- The Practice

Rylie reluctantly dragged herself out of bed. She didn't have to really open her phone to see that she had messages from her teammates reminding them to meet at Toya's house at 10:00. That was from Sakura. That was the advantage of her quirk. As long as her phone was within range, she could reply almost telekinetically, you could say.

She headed to her bathroom mirror, messily pinned her curly maroon tresses into a bun with a chopstick. She lazily brushed her teeth and washed her face. She undressed into the shower and smothered herself in her favourite Marshmellow flavoured bath gel. After the steamy shower, she changed into her sports jersey and threw in all her essentials and clothes into a large gym bag. She hastily poured herself milk and cereal while she enjoyed the view outside.

After a long and dreamy morning breakfast, she grabbed her keys and gym bag and jogged her way to Toya's house down the street.

It was a good thing that he has large lawns with an open basketball court for use. Rylie walked across the grassy garden and noticed the door was left slightly ajar. She took off her trainers at the doorstep beside the other shoes. She traced the room emanating the noise of her friends.

"Hey, good morning guys!" I entered into a crowded bedroom rather distracted by the channels on the television. I dropped my gym bag in the corner of the room. "Hey, good morning!" Tsukki replied as I scooched in beside him and leaned in to get a view of the television. Sakura was lazily sprawled on a chair, with outstretched legs busy on her phone. Toya and Misaki were busy sputtering at the other's inability to find the U. A Basketball tournament.

Toya chanced on a video label named 'U.A Sports Festival'. Misaki snatched the remote from him and was intently navigating his mouse along the timeline hoping to find a basketball game in the thumbnail. "As promising as it sounds," I interjected, "It's not the video we are looking for. I've seen it before."

Finally, after much dispute, we came across a video called 'Basketball Playthroughs' posted by a channel called U.A. Misaki didn't hesitate to run the video. All of us leaned in, including Sakura who threw her phone on the bed almost instantaneously.

We watched multiple games over a number of videos we found. A green-haired girl was good with her blocks, a yellow hair pig-tailed boy was most often than not scoring points, a pink-haired girl tried to bait opponents into doing miscalculated tosses, a burly woman with long white hair did good dunk shots which was the mostly the reason why Toya had to lower the volume of the videos. A burly boy with orange spikes was good at maintaining shallow advances as he snatched the ball from opponents without warning.

"Ha! I can take care of that low-life mugger with my overhead tosses!" Sakura, who had been silent all along, was burning with her newfound passion. "No, it's quite the opposite." I contemplated, "Your height gives him more room to snatch the ball."

A burning passion seemed to resonate with the rest of the team as well. "I'll scare and annoy him! I'd enjoy that!" She pointed a thumb to herself. "And I can play-off against that yellow-haired pig-tailed boy." Toya pointed to the screen. "I can cover the pink-haired one," Tsukki added. 

"Are you sure she won't read through you and completely dodge your block?" I questioned Tsukki. I wasn't able to understand how their burning desire to play made them overlook how counters would obviously be placed in this hypothetical match. "I usually do read blocks  but if I watch the footing I'm sure I can make it." He seemed unfazed by my question. "You'll have to find a way to do that subtly," I argued. "We also have to keep the green-haired girl guessing who among ourselves we plan to pass the ball to next." I took the remote from Misaki and pointed at the blocker in a brief playback.

"Let's switch it up a bit," I instructed. "Usually the ball goes between Misaki, myself and Toya. But this time, let Sakura lead the ball tosses to Tsukki and I can cover. That should throw them off for a bit in case they decide to watch a recorded video of our last game. Toya can take the defence and Misaki can cover the orange-haired boy." She beamed with joy that I had agreed to her plan.

"What makes you think this will give us an upper hand in the game?" Sakura asked, locking her phone away which had occupied her attention once again sometime in the conversation without my knowledge. "We always play offence with our games. However, I foresee that this team would learn or probably assumes by now that they can manipulate our offence to their advantage. They may use our positions to have the ball pass around to their three-pointer.

If the blocker covers Misaki and the orange-haired guy takes the ball from her, Sakura won't be able to reach for him. The pink-haired girl might force Toya to miss time his jump awfully. That's when the white-haired girl will waste Tsukki's time, and if he decides to block someone else, she gets a clear shot to the goal." There was a moment of silence as the situation played in their heads. "It's like they already know our flaws..." Misaki mused.

"There's no time to dawdle on endless possibilities. Let's just practice the drills on the court." Toya got up from the bed and was quick to turn off the television which snapped everyone else back to reality.

It was nice of the local gym to let us borrow a few of their equipment. We spent our time post-lunch on practice.

 "Speed, Misaki." I yelled at her on my 250th skip. Misaki was panting heavily as she clocked her 21st minute on the stop-watch counting her 300th lap on side steps. 

"Widen your cover, Toya!" I barked while wiping a bead of sweat off my forehead after my court drills. Toya practised his jumping drills with a wider arm reach this time. 

"Right, switch up." I pointed to Tsukki who was practising his hoop shots alone. " Try to score in the hoop Toya is defending. And Toya, please put on ankle weights this time. " I instructed the two of them. 

Meanwhile, Misaki and Sakura jogged up to me. They practised tossing to each other while I covered them in between.

We spent the rest of the day switching up the practice routines between ourselves. Once all of our stretching routines were done, we made it back to Toya's apartment.

Tsukki and Misaki were great cooks. While Tsukki prepared us meals, Misaki spent the time bickering to him about the number of flavours which were missing from the dish. Meanwhile, Toya entertained Sakura and me with jokes and funny movie clips.

When the Onigiri and Miso Soup were served, there was a twinkle in everyone's eye. It was like a Mexican Stare-Off to see who can help themselves to the largest portion of food. The intense hunger games were interrupted by a message notification on my phone. The message read:

'The game will be held on the 27th this month (Monday). Make yourselves available on the 24th for an informal meet-up.'

Rude.

"We're going to UA two days from now." I closed the message and returned to my meal. Misaki's eyes were sparkling. "We are going to play in U.A?"

I read out the message to them. In the brief silence, Tsukki's chopsticks were chattering against his bowl. "We'll be fine!" Sakura playfully put an arm around him which had him jump out of his skin. She choked him with her arm and scratched his head to shake the jitters out of him. Misaki, Toya and I were unanimously glad that we didn't have to receive Sakura's aggressive affection.

Later that night, we had our own ways of dealing with anxiety. Sakura went to bed at 21:00 on the dot. The rest of us went to bed an hour later. Tsukki slept with Toya while Misaki and myself slept on the couch in the hall which fit our small frame.

We were all looking forward to the big game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Next: The team goes to U.A!--

A/N

Thank you for reading! And the answers of the previous section are:

1. Misaki Ayuzawa- Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama!

2. Kei Tsukishima - Haikyuu!!

3. Kinomoto Toya - Card Captor Sakura (Image from Clear Card series)

4.Kanoka Amanai - Haikyuu!!

Bet you didn't guess the last one :D Or maybe didn't guess at all.

Anyways! See you in Chapter 3! ;)