Chapter 6 - A New Class

Artist on Twitter: @alkemanubis Patreon: patreon.com/alke

"That is the captain of the other basketball team!" A skinny guy with short blond hair and black-lightning streak on his side fringe yelled from the centre of the class. I responded with a crooked smile.

A week after the tournament, I received a letter in my inbox from U. A. The letter congratulated me for winning and stated that 'the staff is pleased to offer a scholarship into the hero course' and the reason stated in the letter was due to 'an exemplary performance of skills such as teamwork, coordination, strategic thinking, agility and leadership skills'. The letter also had a link to the U.A website for filling out application forms, the last date for which was the 11th of May. That was a stressful week where I had to empty my apartment, give notice to the landlord and pack my things. Now here I was standing in front of the entire class of 1-A of the hero course with three bags full just in time for homeroom.

Aizawa-sensei stood to the right gesturing at me with a hand. "We have a new student this semester." He paused waiting on me to introduce. "I'm Rylie. Nice to meet you." I bowed. Aizawa-sensei dangled a pair of keys in his hand and I grabbed it off him. "Take your seat on the last bench behind Ochaco." he pointed a slender finger on an empty seat in the left corner of the room. I clumsily strut between the two rows of seats and sat on the empty bench. "Class representatives make sure the student is updated with the coursework and settled in their room." He shifted his attention to a tablet on his desk.

Most of the classes were sit-in lectures. I was frantically trying to take notes to keep up but luckily I had the girl sitting ahead of me exchanging notes from time to time. It was about twelve-thirty at noon when the lunch bell rang.

The girl with the short brown bob sitting in front of me turned in her seat. "Hey, want to join in for lunch?" She asked hesitating to remember my name. "Rylie." I completed her sentence. "It's not a Japanese name but it has been a long time in Japan. What can I call you?" I asked. "Ochaco." She smiled gently, her large round eyes closed. "Ochaco-san" I repeated after her. "You won't need to be so formal. Just call me Ochaco-chan." She replied. Many students got up from their seats and made a hustle out of the classroom.

The tall and muscular boy in front of her stood up straight and walked towards me. "My name is Tenya Iida. You can call me Iida. I am the class president and I have to make sure you have been updated with the studies. I will also make sure that no school violation will be tolerated-" He began. "Iida-Kun, stop lecturing her on her first day!" A pink-skinned girl wrapped her toned arms around his neck. "But-But-" He sweated frantically into a halt. She turned to me, "I'm Mina Ashido!" She beamed at me with her black sclera and yellow eyes. "Call me Mina" She struck a peace sign with her other hand. "Rylie, nice to meet you," I replied. 

I stood up from my seat and was following others to the door on our right. A short boy with a round face and messy dark green hair jogged up to me from the other side of the classroom. He looked up at me with a small glint in his green orbs. "You graduated from Aldera High?" His large circular eyes sparkled with excitement. "Y-yes?" I replied. "Me too!" He smiled wider. "I graduated a few months ago."

Yes! Someone from my school!

I grabbed both his hands in mine and stared back at him with the same glint of excitement. "You are my senior?" I asked. He nodded enthusiastically. "Senpai-" the words slipped out of my mouth. He pulled back his hands and blushed, scratching the back of his head. "No-no you can call me Izuku." He stuttered nervously.

"I don't remember my seniors! Which class were you in? My class was on the second floor near the science lab and I used to enter through the left staircase to get into school. I don't remember seeing you anywhere." Newfound energy burned inside me. "Oh, I and Kacchan over there actually," He turned around to point to a fair-skinned male with short spiky ash-blond hair and choppy bangs walking out of the classroom, "were in the same class." I skipped towards the blond and greeted him with a smile. "Hi, there! You must be Kacchan. Were you from Aldera High too?" I beamed at him, leaning forward with my hands behind my back.