PROLOGUE

19 years after the rise of the Galactic Empire...

Prologue
Leia

Jedha is just as grim and broken as it was the last time I was here. The people are skin and bone, hunkered in their stone homes, cowering in fear from the evil that reigns over us all. It makes me angry, it makes me want to march right up to the Emporer and kill him myself.

But that would never work, as my father says, I'm a fiery spirit in a small package, which doesn't make me much of a weapon against the great and powerful Emporer. But I do what I can to oppose him, like joining the rebellion that my parents started.

I jumped at the opportunity to go on my own assignment, which is exactly why I am on Jedha. I have been sent here to meet with a spy we have in the Empire, someone my fellow rebel Jyn Erso apparently knows very well. I'm here to help protect her while she talks with the spy.

We are supposed to meet him in the house across from us now, tattered and worn down from probably years of abandonment. We just have to get passed the stormtroopers patrolling the street blocking us from entering the building.

"Be ready when I say 'go'." Jyn whispers to me, tightening her hood around her head. I do the same, hiding my face and the blaster dangling from my belt.

Jyn watches the stormtroopers make their way around the corner of the last building on the street, and just as their pristine white armor disappears, she whispers 'go'. We swiftly make our way across the street, and I guard Jyn's back as she approaches the door of the house and knocks on the door twice, then pauses, then knocks another three times.

The lock on the door clicks as the person inside opens up the door, allowing us both to slip inside. The building is even more broken and battered on the inside. Part of the roof is missing, which shines a light into the room that allows you to see the amount of dust floating through the air. It makes me cough as I take in a breath.

Jyn doesn't seem to care. She hugs onto the man standing in the room with us, a warm smile spread across her face that's only topped by the man's. As they pull away from each other, the man cups Jyn's face in his hands, making Jyn place her hands over his wrists.

"How are you, my stardust?"

She nods. "I'm fine, Father. But we can't stay long, there are too many stormtroopers here and I don't want you to get caught."

He brushes her cheek. "Don't worry about me, but you are right that it is dangerous here. This will only take a few moments."

"You told General Parr and General Amidala that you have some viral information. What is it, Father?"

I listen in closely, taking a step towards them as Jyn's father takes in a deep breath, lowering his voice as he reveals; "The Empire has created a weapon, a weapon unlike anything I have ever seen. I would have said something sooner but I didn't not know of it until now. It's nearly completed, and when it is, it will have the power to wipe out entire planets. They call it the Death Star."

Jyn and I are both left speechless by this revelation. I don't know what to say, what to even think. All that goes through my mind are the deaths of millions of innocent people because of this weapon, because of the Empire. It makes me feel like I might throw up.