XXIV. Skywalker

Chapter Twenty-Four
Vader

"Lord Vader," Captain Needa says appearing at my side, bowing his head before continuing. "Prime Minister Warren is making contact with you."

I had been standing on the main deck of my star cruiser in a relatively decent mood until my captain uttered those words. I let out a sigh and nod my head to him, walking towards the communications center so I can get a clear transmission from the pompous brat.

As I enter into the room, I find Warren already waiting for me. His expression is more than displeased and he's taping his foot annoyingly. It makes me want to force choke him until his eyes bulge.

"I'm guessing your mission to capture Jayce Daulton isn't going as planned." I gloat.

Warren narrows his eyes. "It isn't, but that will change soon enough."

"What happened on Lothal? Do you at least have Parr and Amidala still in custody?"

Warren sighs, his annoyance growing as he replies; "No. Daulton broke into the prison and rescued them along with Leia Amidala and some rebel named Luke Skywalker."

My mechanical breathing cuts off, my body growing stiff and motionless. Even my voice is barely audible as I clarify: "Luke Skywalker?"

"That's his name according to the troopers who were there, that's what the warden of the prison and Daulton himself called him. Why, do you know him?"

"No...continue your search for Daulton. Do not contact me again unless you have made some progress."

Warren gives me a look of skepticism, but makes the wise decision to bite his tongue. He bows his head and ends the transmission, leaving me alone in the communication center.

Luke Skywalker. That name circles my brain for I don't know how long. It's impossible. There has to be another explanation. There is no way this rebel can be who I think he is. No way...but Fallon's father was named Luke. I remember her telling me that when we took back Bretta from the separatists. That can't be a coincidence...or can it? Can...can he be...

"You look startled, my old friend." A voice says from behind me. I turn to find Obi Wan's figure standing a few feet from me, just as he was the day I killed him.

"He's mine, isn't he? He's mine and Fallon's child. Answer me! Is this rebel boy my son!?" I practically scream at him.

Obi Wan doesn't answer. There's guilt in my old master's expression, but this guilt is shadowed with conviction. It's a look I've seen a thousand times. It's a look that gives me the answer I sought.

"How? How is this possible? She died...the-the Emperor—"

"Is a monster that you entangled yourself with. He corrupted your mind and caused the death of your wife...I refused to let the same fate befall the child."

I feel anger rise in me now, anger I have not felt in a long time. "You kept him from me! The last piece of the woman I loved and you took it away! He's been with you all this time hasn't he? You raised him along with your son!"

"Fallon made me promise to keep her son safe, so that's what I did. He's stronger than either of us, with more wisdom and courage than I could have ever imagined. He and my son will defeat you and the Emperor, and balance will be restored."

I rip my lightsaber from my belt and ignite it, swinging at his figure. But as soon as my blade is out, Obi Wan's figure is gone, leaving me alone once more, with knowledge that will change the course of the galaxy as we know it.