Chapter Eighteen

"I WILL KILL THEM ALL," Dean hollers. Mayra and Enoch rush in, panic etched on their faces. Mayra rushes over to Dean, he's shaking in anger and his hands are clenched into fists. Mayra holds onto him and starts speaking to him quietly. I see him focus on her and start to relax a little. I look at Enoch, "Please don't let anyone in here." He nods and closes the door behind him as he leaves. Luchas lifts my chin so that I look up at him as he bends over me. "Are you okay?" he asks concerned. "I messed up," I whisper. Luchas sighs and hugs me, "You didn't. He would have found out either way." "It shouldn't have been like this," I mutter. "However it came up, I think his reaction would have been the same. I don't know you as long as he does and I want to rip every lesser limb from limb." I pull back and look at him. "You want to fight in the war?" I ask reluctantly. Before he can answer, Dean stomps over to us and pushes Luchas aside. He pulls me into a hug and sags against me. "I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry," he keeps mumbling as he holds me tight and buries his face in my neck. "What on earth for?" I ask confused. "I should have been there. I should never have left you alone. I could have..." he trails off but still holds me close. I feel a trickle of moisture run down my neck. Is he... "No, don't do that," I say as I tighten my grasp on him. I look up to see Mayra with her arms wrapped around herself and tears shimmering in her eyes. I meet Luchas's steady gaze and I feel the knot in my chest ease just a little. Those aren't the eyes of a victim. Not anymore. "Everything happened the way it was supposed to. We're exactly where we're supposed to be," I say as I run my hand through his hair. We stay that way for a moment and I feel his breathing start to even out. I gesture for Mayra and she rushes over and embraces us both, her tears falling freely. She rests her head on my other shoulder. Luchas comes closer and links his pinky finger with mine. I take a deep breath and drop my head. I'm not alone. I'm not a victim anymore. I have a choice. With how I think, with the decisions I make. The abduction, this illness, it doesn't control me. It doesn't stop me from being me. Only I do.

Enoch saw the guests off, he said that there was an accident and apologized on behalf of Mayra and Dean. We ended up in the living room and Mayra made us all tea. Enoch clears his throat, breaking the silence. "So that's why you didn't want him to know," he says to me. "Why are you still here?" asks Dean sarcastically. Mayra swats his arm playfully. "Thank you for helping, Enoch. I'm so glad you were here and got rid of our guests for us, Enoch," says Enoch cheekily. I grin at him. Dean looks at Mayra, "You see? And you expect me to be nice to him." She rolls her eyes, "Stop you two. This isn't the time for your antics." I think it's the best time though. It's probably them just blowing off steam after everything. Things get quiet again. Dean looks at me, "How bad was it?" I shake my head. "I'm not talking about it," I say. He looks at Enoch but he just shakes his head in response as well. "We should get going," I say as I stand up. Luchas follows suit. Enoch stands up too, "Before you go, could I get your contact number? I'd really like to speak to you again." "You can get it from Dean," I say. Enoch scoffs, "Like he would give it to me." "How well you know me," says Dean as he stands up too. I raise my eyebrow at Dean and recite my number to Enoch. Enoch gives me a hug. "There were a few things I wanted to speak to you about. But, only when you're ready to talk," he says to me quietly. I nod and we break apart. "I'm really glad I got to see you again," he smiles. "Me too," I agree with a grin. Mayra comes with us to the hallway and gives me a huge hug. "Please keep in touch. I would love to talk to you more," she says. I nod, "I would like that. You have my number now so we can talk whenever." She beams at me, "I will definitely take you up n that! And I will invite you over again, but I think next time it will just be us. None of the other guests that were here earlier." "That sounds like a plan," I say. She looks at Luchas, "I hope you can come too, Luchas. I really enjoyed your company as well." "That would be nice," he says with a smile. Dean walks us out and we wait for Fritz. Luchas excuses himself to make a phone call. "I'm sorry," starts Dean. "I think you've said that enough for one night," I say with a smile. "I shouldn't have pushed you. I shouldn't have grabbed your hand like that," he continues. "It's okay, really. Like you said before, you did it because you care." He nods, "I really do. I guess I was just hoping that I was wrong." He runs a hand through his hair. "If there's anything you need. If there's anything I can do, please let me know," he says sincerely. I can't help but smile. "You know, I thought I would never see you again. I'm really glad I was wrong," I say, "And before you try to apologize again, please don't." He tucks my hair behind my ear and cups my cheek, "I wish I could have taken your place. I wish that you didn't have to go through any of it." I give him a hug and feel him relax a little, "I'm glad it wasn't you. I know I haven't said this before but for what it's worth, I forgive you. I know you left because you thought it was the right thing to do. Mayra is amazing, I'm really glad you two have each other. I want you to always be happy." He plants a kiss on the top of my head, "I want you to be happy too. I wanted so much more for you than this. I know this is going to sound selfish, but I am glad you're here. I'm glad I get to have you in my life." We see Fritz driving in and I pull away. "Take care of Mayra and yourself," I say and kiss his cheek. Luchas comes forward to shake his hand and as they exchange a few words, I get into the car. Luchas joins me soon after. I drop my head against the seat and gaze out of the window. "How are you holding up?" he asks. I swing my head around to face him, "I'm pretty sure I've had enough drama to last me a few lifetimes at this point." I hold his hand. "Thank you so much for coming with me. Having you there..." I pause and shake my head, "I wouldn't have been able to deal well if you hadn't been there." He smiles, "I appreciate that but I'm quite sure you would have handled yourself just fine without me." I look back out of the window and sigh, "I'm not so sure about that." He puts his arm around my shoulders and slides me closer. I turn and lean into him. It's the most natural thing. We've fallen asleep beside each other more than once. We've always tried to be there for each other through the nights when the nightmares were at their worst. Luchas has been one of the biggest blessings. He understands. We don't need to talk about it or say much in general. Just having each other for company has been enough to make those difficult nights less of an issue. Hopefully I've managed to help him in some way too. Luchas's phone buzzes, making us both jump in surprise. He answers and speaks for a minute or two before passing it to me. I look at him quizzically but answer. "Shea! Finally," says Jane on the other side of the line, "I've been trying to get a hold of you for a while now." "What's going on?" I ask. I already know what this may be about though. "We need to talk. When will you be back?" she asks. "I'm already on my way. I will come by as soon as I'm there. Where should I meet you?" I ask. After we sort out the logistics, I hang up. "Is everything alright?" asks Luchas as I hand him his phone. I look at him thoughtfully. He doesn't say anything, he just keeps his steady gaze on me, waiting patiently. "There is something," I say slowly, "But, I need some time before I can talk to you about it." He looks at me curiously but nods, "Whenever you're ready."