Chapter 23: Diagnosis

Nikki's POV

It's been a few days since I took Justine to the doctor and it looks like she's getting worse. She hasn't walked at all and is constantly sleeping. I've been keeping Andy updated and he wants to come home, but I don't want him to cancel his tour if it's just a really bad flu.

I was sitting on the couch when the phone rang.

"Hello?" I asked, picking it up on the first ring.

"Hello Nikki, this is Dr. Jones. We have Justine's test results back. Is there anyway you could come in today?" He asked. There's no way this can be good.

"Y-Yeah." I said, hanging up the phone. I sat on the couch for a minute and took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. I got up and picked Carter up out of his crib, placing him in his carrier. I then took him to Justine's room and scooped her up, not bothering to wake her up.

I carried them both to the car and strapped them in, driving to the doctor's office. I parked and picked them up, walking in.

"Ah Mrs. Biersack, let me get Dr. Jones." The nurse at the front said, getting up and walking down the hallway. A minute later, she reappeared with the doctor. He walked out into the waiting room with a different nurse following him.

"I'd like to speak to you in private, Alexa can watch your kids." He said. I nodded and left my kids in the waiting room with the nurse, following the doctor to his office. I sat down in the chair in front of his desk and he sat down behind his desk.

"So, we got Justine's test results back. I can definitely tell you she does not have the flu. Her white blood cell count is very low and we detected some abnormal cells. I'm so sorry, it appears that Justine has Pediatric Leukemia." He said. With those two words, I felt my whole world crash around me. "I have referred you to a great oncologist who can go over treatment options with you." He said, sliding a piece of paper across his desk to me. I grabbed the paper and slipped it into my purse.

"C-Can I have a minute to call my husband?" I asked.

"Of course." He said. I stood up and walked out of his office, putting my back on the wall and sliding to the ground. I sobbed into my knees, pulling out my phone and managing to click on Andy's contact. I held the phone up to my ear and continued to cry.

"Hello?" He answered.

"Andy. I-I need you to come home." I cried.

Andy's POV

"Why? What's wrong?" I asked, my heart skipping a beat. If she needs me to come home, then something's really wrong.

"Justine has cancer." Nikki said. I froze in place and dropped the phone.

"Andy, are you okay?" Jake asked, rushing over to me. We were in the middle of soundcheck, but the guys understood when I told them Nikki was calling. He picked up the phone and handed it back to me. I took a breath and put the phone back up to my ear.

"W-What?" I asked.

"The doctor referred us to an oncologist. I need you to come home. I can't do this alone." She cried.

"Don't worry baby, I'll be on the first flight out. I love you so much, and we're going to get through this."

"I love you too." She said and we hung up.

"Andy." CC said, getting out from behind his drums.

"We need to cancel the show tonight. I need to get home. Justine has cancer."

Nikki's POV

After I composed myself, I went out to the waiting room, thanked the nurse, and grabbed my kids. I drove us home and took them back to bed. I pulled the referral slip out of my purse and called the doctor.

"Dr. Clark's office." The nurse answered.

"Hello, I need to make an appointment for a new patient."

"Name and date of birth."

"Justine Biersack. November 16th, 2012." I answered, spelling out Justine's name.

"And what is the appointment for?"

"I got a referral from her pediatrician, Dr. Jones. She just got diagnosed with Pediatric Leukemia."

"Alright, I have an appointment tomorrow at 10, does that sound good?"

"It does, thank you so much." I said and hung up. I curled up on the couch and sobbed.

***

I was sitting on the couch, watching TV to try to distract me when the front door opened. I turned my head to see Andy lugging his suitcase into the house. I jumped up from the couch and ran to him, attacking him in a hug. I sobbed into his shoulder as he held me tightly. We stayed like that for a few minutes until we pulled away. I looked up and saw he was crying too.

"We have an appointment at ten tomorrow with her oncologist." I told him.

"I'm going." He said.

"Please." I hugged him again.

"Is Justine in her room?"

"Yeah, she's been asleep all day." He nodded and walked up the stairs. I followed him and stood in the doorway as Andy walked up to Justine.

He knelt down next to her bed and stroked her hair. He hung his head and I saw his body start to shake.

"We're going to make you all better baby girl. You'll be okay. You'll be okay. You can't leave me." He whispered. He kissed her forehead and stood up, walking towards me. I held him as he cried.

*********************************************************************************

3 COMMENTS FOR NEXT CHAPTER