twenty-eight*

// sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever //

It's Christmas Eve so mom and dad have been quite busy trying to finish up work so we can spend some family time without worrying about other stuff. Kris has still been acting a bit distant and stays in her room most of the time but she did go on a date with Tom last night.

I haven't done much as well but I did finish all the present shopping needed and wrapped all of them. We're going to leave our presents under the tree later tonight. We decorated it when we picked it from the Christmas farm together last Sunday, and for the first time in a long time, we actually went and bought new decorations. We played Christmas music and it was a fun time as a family. Luckily, we didn't break any of the ornaments this year.

We're not going to do much for Christmas, just a family dinner then we'll go to the parade if we feel like it. There's not a lot planned and I'm not going to lie, I'm really happy about it. The year has passed by in a blur and I just want to spend the last week or so of the year in a more relaxed environment.

"Cassidy!"

"Yeah, mom?" My train of thought breaks and I hear the front door closing.

"Can you be a dear and be in charge of desserts tomorrow? I know this is last minute but I think I've bitten off more than I could chew with dinner this year and I don't want to stress myself even more. I could go but if-"

"It's fine mom, I can do it. I haven't baked in ages but I'm sure I'll be able to find something online." I smile at her rambling and I can see her let out a sigh. Dad did the Christmas dinner last year so mom is in charge this year and she always gets stressed out because she doesn't want to disappoint.

"I hope it won't be too much trouble. If you really don't want to do it, we can just buy ice cream and make some ice cream sandwiches." I shake my head with a smile, getting out of my seat on the couch in the process.

"It's fine mom, really. I don't have anything planned for tomorrow anyways." She gives me a grateful smile and scurries to the kitchen to prep for tomorrow. I make my way to my room so I can look for some easy recipes, which will most probably be cookie recipes since that is what I am familiar with.

I settle on a simple sugar cookie recipe and write down all the ingredients I need on a note pad so I can buy whatever we don't already have. Kris used to love baking so we have quite a few cookie cutters in a drawer that I know I won't have to worry about that.

I go downstairs to check the fridge and cupboards and thankfully, I won't have to go out to the shops tomorrow morning. I even find a sheet pan that will be great, mom said she has a roll of parchment paper somewhere in the kitchen that she'll help me find.

When dinner time finally comes around we end up ordering Chinese food. Dad goes to collect the food and mom calls Kris to come down for dinner. When Kris sits down opposite me on the dining table I am surprised to say the least. She looks like she hasn't been sleeping well and almost resembles the time when the thing with Nate happened.

I want to ask her if she's okay but mom beats me to it.

"Kristiana, are you okay? I can take to you the doctors if you're not feeling well." Kris gives mom a tight smile and shakes her head.

"I'm not sick mom, I've just been having terrible headaches so I can't fall asleep." Mom still looks worried and I hear dad's car driving into the driveway.

"I'll get you some aspirin after dinner, okay dear?" Kris nods and mutters a thank you. I take my Ma Po Tofu from dad and dig in. Kris takes her dumpling soup with noodles and the rest of the dinner is surprisingly silent. No one really says anything and we just enjoy each other's company.