Level Two

I'm sitting in between Adam and Mason.

It wasn't my choice, again. However, it seems our mothers have an obsession with mine and Mason's relationship. And of course, Adam doesn't take no for an answer.

Everyone around me is taking part in a lively chatter. Catching up. Reminiscing about the old times.

I'm too focused on Adam's hand on my thigh. He wants to remind me who I belong to. I think he noticed how Mason brushes his hand against mine every time he reaches for the Parmesan. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.

"Melanie? You okay, sweetie?"

I look up, startled, "What?"

"We were just talking about the last dinner we had together." Margaret laughs and my mom joins in.

"Oh I remember," Angel snorts, "the lasagna was so burnt the noodles were rock solid."

Everyone laughs. I remember that dinner.

"And Mel and I stole Adam's phone to order pizza." Mason looks at me with a grin.

I remember telling Mason it was a bad idea, but he was so excited that I couldn't say no to him. I ended up with six new bruises that night.

"We couldn't even get mad," mom is laughing so hard her words are barely audible, "you two were so cute."

"Well, Melanie is, Mason could use a little help." Angel teases.

Mason glares at him and throws his garlic bread across the table, hitting him on the nose.

I can't help but giggle. That's what I thought having a brother would be like.

"Boys!"

"He started it," they shout in unison.

I haven't seen my mom this happy in years. She's laughing so hard that she's snorting and she struggling to pick up her fork. I feel a twinge of guilt for driving Mason away. She could have been with her best friend all this time, feeling the warmth of this atmosphere.

"So, Mason," Adam speaks up as he puts down his cup of water, "how was Florida?"

Mason looks over at him, "It was fine."

"You lived there for nine years and all you can say is 'fine.' Did you at least make any friends?"

I know what he's doing. Adam wants me to feel it. He wants me to know how Mason moved on and I never could.

"It's hard to live somewhere for nine years and not make friends."

"Well Melanie's lived here for sixteen years," Adam snickers under his breath.

"Adam, be nice to your sister." Mom tells him.

"Yeah, Adam. Be nice," Mason chimes in.

I imagine a dinner without Adam. One where my dad had never left. Mason and I would be here, throwing spaghetti noodles at each other while our mothers gossiped over glasses of wine. Maybe Angel would be in Adam's place, and treat me like his sister. A sister who he doesn't despise.

But I'm not perfect, I am flawed. And so is my world.

"Melanie, what about Riley and Claire," my mom asks me, "they're the most darling little girls."

"Not so little anymore, Mom. But yeah, they're pretty great."

I can hear Riley's high pitched voice in the back of my mind.