Our Next Adventue

My parents divorced just after I was born. Dad wanted to take Angel with him to Florida, the son he already knew and loved. Mom refused, and he left without either of us.
For eight years, my parents didn't speak a word to each other. Every time I brought up my dad, my mom or Angel would shut the subject down.
I think not having two parents was one of the things that bonded Mel and I as kids. It's hard to be different when you're young. Every kid has the same toys, the same goals of being an officer or an astronaut, and two parents.
But Mel and I didn't have a Dad.
We were the oddballs with no man to take to the Father's Day picnic. No guy to teach us how to ride a bike. We were alone, together.
Maybe that's how best friends are formed. When you're both equally fucked up, just enough so you cancel each other out.
Mel never talked about her Dad, she claimed that she didn't remember him. It was her silence about her Dad, the loneliness she felt inside of her that made me feel guilty when my mother told me I could finally meet my father.
I look at her now as she gets into the car, giving one final wave at Carlie before she sits down and shuts the door.
I wonder if she still feels that loneliness.
     "Where to next?" She asks, looking at me with a small smile.
"Were going shopping."
She raises her eyebrows as I pull out of the parking lot and begin to drive away with a smirk on my lips.
"What for?"
"You'll see." I tell her.
She sighs, "Always a mystery with you."
     "Is that a bad thing?"
     "I don't know yet."
I smile at her response.
     "I know you ate one of my smiley fries, by the way." She says suddenly, smirking at me knowingly.
     "I would never!" I exclaim.
     "Whatever," she pauses, "jerk."
     "Nerd."
     Twenty minutes of this back and forth banter and we arrive at a little boutique that Natalia has dragged me to multiple times while Angel would be in the car refusing to go shopping with her.
"So you're in touch with your feminine side?" Mel teases as we get out of the car.
"Just come on." I fire back.
     It's a small shop but pretty busy since I see at least six other people roaming the aisles of clothing.
     "What are we getting?" Mel asks me.
     I don't say anything until we reach the back of the store where the dressing rooms are located. Where all of the bathing suits are.
     Her smile drops.
     "What are we getting?" She asks again.
     I gesture to the wall of swim suits, "Something essential for our next journey."
     She shakes her head, "No."
     "What?"
     "I'm not wearing a bathing suit."
     Her whole demeanor has changed. The smile's gone, her shoulders are tense, and she's crossing her arms over chest like she's trying to make herself invisible.
     I'm confused. Is she really that insecure about her body? Honestly, she has nothing to be insecure about, she's perfect in every way.
     "Look, just like the tattoos remember," I tell her softly, "look for something you like, if you can't find anything, you don't have to get one. Deal?"
     She doesn't answer me for the longest time.
     "Fine."
     "Okay, I'll be over here looking for some trunks."
     This skip day was completely a spur of the moment thing. I'm making things up as we go. Seeing as how delicate Mel is, how high up her walls are, I'm surprised she'd let me take her this far. I've pushed and pushed.
     I don't understand girls, maybe that's my problem. I don't understand how someone so beautiful could ever feel bad about the body that she hides under her clothes.
     "I'm going in the dressing room." She calls from behind me.
     By the time I turn around, the door is already closing.
I've had girlfriends before, it's not like I'm totally clueless. Yes means no, up means down, and leave me alone means get me some chocolate. But Mel isn't a normal girl. What you see is what you get.
     I skim the swim trunks until I see some plain mint colored ones that look my size.
     "I'm done." Mel calls.
     She doesn't exit the dressing room.
     "Are you coming out or?"
     "Give me a second." Mel growls.
     I raise my hands in surrender although I know she can't see me.
     Minutes later she opens the door and I hold back a laugh.
     She's in a full black wetsuit. A long sleeved shirt and long black pants like something a diver would wear.
     But she looks good while wearing it and I have to pretend that my eyes don't roam across her as the fabric clings to her skin.
     "I like this one." It's a final statement. She's not picking out a different one, and I wouldn't ask her to.
     "Great." I say to her with a smile.
     She nods and goes back in to change back into her clothes.
     When she comes out with the swim suit in her arms, I look at her and she stops.
"What?"
"You're just beautiful." I tell her sincerely, but cover it up with a smirk.
Her cheeks turn red, "Shut up."
"Mason! What are you doing here?"
Mel and I look over to see Natalia and Angel. My brother smiles at me like he knows some sort of secret I don't, looking at Mel and raising his eyebrows. I glare at his in return.
"We're just getting some suits."
"And skipping school?" Natalia muses.
I shrug, "Would you believe me if I told you it was part of a class project?"
"I'd believe you and not tell Mama if you take the trash out for me for the next month." Angel smirks.
Natalia punches his shoulder and he laughs.
"Deal, whatever."
Natalia looks over at Mel, "And is this the famous Melanie I've been hearing so much about?" She smiles.
Mel grins, holding shaking Natalia's hand, "I'm sure Mason can't stop talking about me."
"Oh you have no idea." Angel snickers and I shoot him a look.
"We were just leaving." I force out through clenched teeth, hoping that they'll take the hint.
Natalia giggles, "We'll let you two get back to whatever you were doing."
Mel and I start to head to the front to pay for everything.
"Use protection!" Angel shouts.
Natalia laughs, "Don't be silly, wrap your willy!"
"Oh my God." Mel mutters. Her cheeks are on fire and I'm rolling my eyes cursing my brother in my mind.
"Let's get out of here, please." She pleads with me.
I smile, "To our next adventure."

__________
Sorry if this chapter was a little boring guys! I promise next chapter you'll see what the swimsuits are for!
Don't forget to vote and comment, love you guys!