ten | can we talk?

song of the chapter: 2U (cover) - jungkook

-

"Good morning sweetie." My dad tells me as I jog down the stairs. It was a Sunday morning, meaning that we were all home. It was a great day  for quality family time.

"Morning dad," I walk to the kitchen counter, serve myself some pancakes and a cup of coffee, "where's mom?" I ask him, sitting down in front of him on the dinner table.

He lets down the newspaper that he reads and takes a sip of his coffee, "She's talking to your brother." he tells me.

Lee, my brother, is more distant to us than before, location-wise. Since he's in the U.S with his wife, he calls once in a while and tells us how it's so much different than Korea. Lee always mentions that he misses us and wants to come here for the summer. It's something that he always tries to do, but he can rarely come visit due to his job.

Mom comes from the backyard with the phone on her ear, "-well let me put you on speaker so you can talk to your father and to Dae." she places the phone on the table and sits down with us.

"I miss you guys." Lee lets out.

Dad speaks, "Miss you too. How's everything?"

"Good. Good. The shifts have been hectic at the hospital so I've been a bit tired, but it's been good." he responds.

"That's part of being a doctor, Lee. How's the little one?" I speak.

He laughs, "Dae! That's true. Little one's been good, she's been asking about how babies are made–"

"Good luck with that, honey" Mom responds.

"Thanks mom." Lee says.

Dad lets go of the newspaper and continues, "You know that Bree is back in Seoul, right?"

"Yeah, mom told me. She has a boyfriend apparently?" Lee asks.

"Yup." Dad talks.

"Let's see how long she keeps the same boyfriend around." Lee says sarcastically.

I clear my throat, "She loves him, and," I gulp, "he loves her too."

That's what his stare showed yesterday. The way his eyes crinkled as he smiled, watching her freak out over several candles; it radiated love, it showed his love for her.

I stood up and began picking up the plates, in attempts to distract my thoughts.

Going to the dishwasher, I prepare all the dishes and put them inside as I close the dishwasher. I turn it on. My hands grip the sides of the kitchen counter, I let my head down.

He loves her.

He hasn't said it, but his actions say so.

"Dae! Let's watch a movie. Your mother wants to watch Titanic again." I hear my dad shout from the living room.

I take a deep breath, putting my thoughts aside.

"Coming!"

"We always watch Titanic, why don't we watch that drama," My dad says from the couch, "the one with the girl and the goblin."

I chuckle, "You mean the drama Goblin, dad?"

"That one!" he snaps his finger as he points at me.

So we did, we began watching Goblin in our couch as the hours went by.

-

"Bree, I don't know. It's too late, and I'm tired–"

I hear her scoff on the phone, "Dae-Dae, it's 8pm so it isn't late."

"Listen, I have an early class tomorrow and I must go to sleep early, so I'm sorry but I can't." I tell her as I sit on my bed with the phone on my ear.

Bree sighs, "Fine. Then when can we go out, just the two of us?" she asks.

"I'll let you know. I'll text you," I tell her calmly, "as soon as I get a day off, you'll be the first one to know. Promise."

"Okay," she says but then speaks once more, "oh! I forgot to tell you, I gave him your number." she finishes.

Did I hear that correctly?

"You gave what now?" I ask her.

"I gave Jungkook your number? It's weird that you guys know each other but don't have each other's phone numbers. So I gave him yours," she reasons, "he asked me for it too, so I gave it to him."

Why is he asking for my phone number?

"Bree—" I stop, since the ring of someone else calling me starts to be heard, "I'll call you back okay?"

"Okay, love you." she tells me.

"Love you too." I respond, ending her call and beginning the new one.

"Hello?" I answer, waiting for the other person to respond but they don't.

I move my phone from my ear, looking at the number with my eyebrows furrowed, "Hello?" I say again.

There's someone on the line, but they aren't talking.

"I can hear the sound of your car turned on, you know?" I tell the person as the engine of a car is heard in the distance through the call.

This time, I get a response. His calming and soft voice fills my ears, giving me goosebumps.

"Can we talk?"