The Prius Hybrid

It had been about a month since Laurie had been taken hostage by Calum, and about two weeks since he had snuck into her bedroom for the first time, and a lot of things changed.

One of these changes occurred somewhere in Laurie's mind. Despite the fact that there was no news of Laurie coming up missing, or so she was told by Michael and Calum, her mood and demeanor had become so pleasant, even Luke had noticed the severe drop in door slamming.

Laurie didn't know why, but a part of her felt like she was on an exciting vacation. After all, the most terrifying part of living in the house now was that whoever made the food- and Michael assured her often that he was not that person- did a terrible job.

Sure, she wanted to get out and be able to move around and do things with her friends, but the truth is, she never really had any friends besides Calum.

Laurie moved often, and had been to more schools than grade levels, switching between schools at least once a year.

She was always the 'rich girl,' and was constantly being excluded and labeled a snob, and moving around all the time didn't help on that front. She had a few friends, but none she was close enough to to call and hang out with on the spot.

When Laurie was halfway through her sophomore year of high school, her brother turned 18 and agreed to take her in so that she could enjoy her experience and graduate at a school she was proud of.

Even when her parents couldn't make it to her graduation, he made sure he was standing right where she could see him, praising her as she walked across the stage.

She and her brother Josh had an excellent relationship growing up, her looking up to him and emulating his every action, and him acknowledging that and trying to protect her, but their relationship deteriorated quickly when he began partying and took on a terrible drug and alcohol addiction.

The thought of it made Laurie sad, so she tried not to think of it often, but with time flying and him still not reaching out to find her, it was hard not to think of it. Was it that hard to get up off of the couch and call in a report? Was it an extremely difficult task to put the bottle down and think about his sister?

Laurie was used to it. Since he had gotten into hardcore drugs he had let her down many times, but it didn't make it any easier to deal with. Laurie wasn't stupid, she figured that the reason he hadn't called in a report is because he feared that he would be in deep trouble should anyone find his narcotics.

He probably would, but she couldn't understand how that could deter him from trying to save her. At this point, Laurie would rather stay in that room forever than return home to her brother and his partying friends, and the questionable girls that would always swing by were no help either.

The only thing calling Laurie back was the idea of helping her brother, bringing him back up from the grave he was digging, and repairing their relationship. She wanted it to be the way it was when they were growing up.

'Josh and Laurie' the kids would call them at every new school they appeared at. Never just Josh, never just Laurie. They were so close that what one felt, the other would often feel, and when Laurie was in trouble, Josh was never too far to help her out.

The only stability Laurie had found growing up was in her brother; when she was being bullied at school, he stuck up for her, when a boy would break her heart, he would break his arm, and when Laurie had gotten exhausted from the constant moving and little attention from their parents, he took her in.

To Laurie, their broken bond made his downward spiral even worse- almost unbearable. When he spiraled out of control Laurie wanted to help, and she tried hard to.