Knots

A whole month had passed since the last time Laurie had seen Calum, and things hadn't really gotten any better for her. Despite endless hours of fun with Luke, Michael, and occasionally Ashton, she couldn't help but wonder why he left like he had.

In all honesty, Laurie couldn't shake her feelings for Calum if her life depended on it, and she hated herself for that. He didn't care about her! All Calum cared about was getting into her pants, and he would say anything he had to to get what he wanted.

At least that's what Luke had told her.

To be fair though, Laurie couldn't deny that that's what it looked like, because it certainly did, but that's not what it felt like. Maybe she was just trying to justify the way she continuously thought about the boy who had apparently led her on, but a part of her just couldn't let him go.

Laurie was convinced that Calum had taken a piece of her heart with him when he left, and only he could bring it back to her. She loved him more than she was ready to admit, and there was no way the feeling could be stopped.

Of course, things could never just be simple for Laurie.

Though the time apart from Calum didn't weaken Laurie's affection for him, it did strengthen her relationship with someone else. In the time Calum had been away, Luke had come in and picked up right where he had left off.

When Laurie was upset, Luke was her shoulder to cry on. When she wanted someone to talk to, Luke was there. When she just wanted the luxury of a cuddle buddy, you can bet Luke was right there. He was everything Laurie needed when she needed it, and she had grown a soft spot for the boy.

Recently however, the soft spot had grown to fill the whole of her body, and Laurie was beginning to enjoy the boy's company even more than she had ever expected to. She suddenly found herself thinking of Luke when originally she never would have. She also noticed that she cared more about his opinion of her and how she looked around him, and primped accordingly.

It was an unexplainable feeling, and yet it went head to head with what she was feeling for Calum.

The incurable yearning she felt for Calum was emphasized by the constant satisfaction of presence she felt from Luke, and the disconnect she sometimes felt with Luke was highlighted by the thought of the way Calum had seemed to understand her.

Every night Laurie would close her eyes and her heart would go to war with itself, one side battling for Luke, and the other for Calum; and each night the scales would end up balanced and there would be no winner. But with Calum gone and the gap in Laurie's conscience where he used to be increasing more each day, the scales began to tip more and more in Luke's favor, and Laurie was certainly feeling the difference.

Though she had promised herself the day she met Luke that he would never be on her radar, she couldn't fight the urge to be near him. Something about him made her want to get to know him, and he had no problem reeling her in.

He seemed dangerous and mysterious, and Laurie was extremely attracted to him, but she knew that there was much more to his personality than what was presented at the surface. She saw his youth come out when they were all alone together, despite the fact that he was dead set on being mature and businesslike.

She also saw the way that he could be playful and entertaining, and she admired how much he seemed to care for things once they grabbed his attention.

He had teased Laurie relentlessly about how her favorite movie in the world was Finding Nemo, but she was both warmed and surprised when he had chosen it for the household movie night, paying no mind to the complaints from the other boys.