Crossroads

Laurie rolled around the soft bundle of sheets and yawned, her eyes closed tightly. She inhaled deeply and was comforted immediately by a scent which she vaguely recognized but couldn't pinpoint.

She pried her eyes open but shut them quickly, the morning light stinging them and forcing her to acknowledge the pounding in her head from how much alcohol she had consumed.

Her eyes finally adjusted themselves to the brightness of the morning time and fluttered open. She groaned. She had never had a hangover this bad before, and she promised herself that she was never going to drink that much again.

Laurie looked around the room calmly at first, but once she realized where she was she let out an alarming screech and stood up from the bed. The sudden movement caused her head to ache even more, but she couldn't help it.

Her door swung open and Luke bolted in, obviously worried.

He was exactly how she remembered him, and her heart swelled at the sight of him before she reminded herself what he had done. His eyes were the same shade of blue that she loved and his body still towered over hers, but something was different.

Nothing physically had changed about him, besides the fact that he had let a bit of stubble grow on his face, but there was just something about him that Laurie could tell had changed.

"Are you alright?" He asked, keeping his distance from the small girl.

Laurie was tempted to make a smart or sarcastic remark, but something about seeing Luke again after three months had caused her to lose interest in her usual teasing of the boy.

She was a bit overwhelmed to say the least, but she wasn't as angry with him as she had expected to be. Maybe it was because of what Calum had done to her, or perhaps because she wasn't really able to fully concentrate, she couldn't tell.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She lied.

Laurie wasn't really fine, and she wanted to tell him about everything that had happened to her since she had left, but she knew that he would probably be uninterested.

Luke cautiously moved closer to Laurie, and when she didn't move back a small spark of excitement arose within him.

"Are you hungry?" He asked, and Laurie nodded.

The pair headed downstairs and Luke pulled out a chair for Laurie to sit down while he prepared pancakes for the two of them. Laurie could smell that they were slightly burnt, but at that point she just wanted to put something of substance into her stomach.

"Smells like the crap Michael used to bring up to me." She said softly, remembering the terrible food she would always eat.

Luke chuckled a bit before putting the pancakes on a plate and getting out another plate for each of them.

"I was never the best cook, but I always tried my best."  He said, smiling down at Laurie.

She sat up in her chair. Luke made the food? She had always assumed that he just sat around all day while Ashton and Michael did everything.

Luke set Laurie's plate down in front of her and sat across from her at the table. She quickly began eating the slightly burnt pancakes and Luke sat in silence, admiring her.

He had missed her presence in the house more than anything, and he regretted ever giving her a reason to leave. He found that she was such an easy person to talk to, which was one of the things he loved the most about her, but in that moment he was having a difficult time figuring out what to say to her.

Laurie looked up from her breakfast and Luke didn't bother to stop his staring. She was a brilliant work of art, and he realized that she may not stay forever. She blushed at the attention and looked back down.