10

By the time the new week had rolled round, my petty grudge with Alfie had already been dispersed and we were close again. Nonetheless, I wouldn't let him off to easily if he would make me take transport and torture me again.

When we entered school, I immediately went to look for Ricky to strangle him and blame him for not coming to my aid on the journey back. Edward looking at me weirdly.

The days went on with these small and minor yet fulfilling events. This had truly made me happy to be here. I cannot emphasise how grateful I was to that shadow of mine from the dream. I hate to admit it but she was the one who took me to reality.

As the days went by, I tried to be bolder and hung around to bother Edward a bit more. It was a bit weird how he wasn't gentle and kind like Edmund despite their resemblance. It wasn't as if he is rude or anything but he likes to ignore people.

Today was also another day in where I would try and get even a single step closer to him.

"Good morning, Edward." I said, lifting my head a little from the desk, as I had been lying down lifelessly just a moment ago, listening to the literature podcasts about the books that we were currently studying.

He replied normally with his stoic and lazy voice as he slumped down on his seat.

Am I delusional? Everything he does is attractive...

Raising my courage, I plucked out my earphones and turned towards him, beginning to initiate a conversation with him, since I know that he wouldn't take the chance to talk whenever he didn't need to, however, I was quickly surprised.

"What are you listening to?" He asked, glancing at me slightly as I froze a little from the unexpected scene. His side profile is way too appealing...

"Ah, oh, urm. I'm listening to the podcast for Jomeo and Ruliet..." I clenched my phone a little from the nerves. "I'm struggling slightly with the old language."

"If you want, at break, we can go to the library. There's a nice book about old language that you could borrow to help you out." He suggested.

My eyes brightened at the moment he spoke about going to the library together. Nodding happily I immediately agreed with the suggestion.

To be honest, I was fine with us getting slowly closer like this. The first step that we need is to be friends and slowly get closer and closer.

Over the month that I had already began my school life, Edward had shown no impression of remembering me in the hospital. I don't know to feel happy or sad.

Happy because he wouldn't have to ask about what happened to me, to be in the hospital, yet sad because it also meant that I didn't have much an impression on him.

Still, this could be said to be for the better.

That girl, in those plain turquoise hospital clothes and messy disheveled hair that reached the floor and wasn't cut and trimmed nicely. Unfocused eyes without the help of glasses. Pale skin that hadn't seen the sun in years...

Honestly I don't want anyone to see a me like that.

As I was dazedly thinking about the past, I held my palm up to my face and then frowned slightly, thinking that something was not quite right...

I didn't notice him taking my phone and doing something with it until my eyes focused again and I saw those large and pretty hands holding a phone with a floral phone case.

"Huh? What are you doing?" I asked surprised and confused.

He smirked a little. "You really need to be more vigilant. Why is it only now that you realised that I have taken your phone that used to be in your hands?" Poking my forehead, I closed my eyes and leaned back a little due to the soft force.

Holding my head, I looked at him again, as he showed me my phone screen.

"You should start getting into the trends or you won't get more friends! I've downloaded a music app for you. Why don't you listen to some of the new songs? Then you can have more to talk about with Amelia who likes pop music a lot."

Receiving my phone back, I looked at the playlists and then nodded obediently.

Curiously, I clicked on the profile section to show Edward's account logged in.

"You need to pay to listen to songs properly and without ads." He explained before I could look at him or ask anything. "Use mine for now."

"Really? I can pay for half." I said, beginning to search in my bag. "Ah. How much is it?"

"I'll gladly accept." He said, pulling a note out of my purse. "You really should raise you defences or you'll get robbed."

"Don't you worry! I'm in the classical music club for now, but wait for five more months! I'll join the karate club!" With a determined face, I clenched my fist and nodded.

"Aikido would be better for a thin and weak girl like you." He advised and I nodded.

"Then I'll join both!"

"That's way too much for you!"

We began to bicker slightly about which martial arts would suit me. Me saying that I could handle anything whilst him looking at me doubtfully and saying that I'm too 'frail'.

Maybe I am... But oh well.

I learnt that life is short, so I should make the most of it and experience as much as I could.

Just before the bell for homeroom rang, Edward won the small argument as I puffed my cheeks and turned away.

As I lay my head on the desk, a wide and heavy hand patted my head.

"You shouldn't rush too much, or you could get hurt."

Lowering my head, I bit my lip.

I knew that the reason why he treated me nicely was just to a mere curiosity of the new second year student and not due to interest.

But I would definitely grasp tightly onto this ladder that he had lowered down. I will use this chance to climb to the surface of his heart.