Peace in Space

It's hard to keep track of the days while living on the ARK. Though, the sun does rise and set, and there are moments when red starlight washes over the colony. This happens in the morning and in the evening, so day and night are distinguishable, no doubt. The hours are harder to differentiate. Time zones are confusing. It doesn't matter to Infinite. Dates, times, days of the week, it's all irrelevant... and overwhelming.

Although much of the machinery in the Control Room keeps note of these things, Infinite's chosen not to concern himself. Mostly he looks forward to eating and sleeping. The crying, not so much but it's uncontrollable. He hates it. He wonders when Shadow will scold him for being weak but it hasn't happened. This truly is a different Shadow.

"Being on the ARK reminds me of my obliterated squad, my crappy childhood, my mistakes. Yet, with no one but alien-Shadow around, it's a safe place to grieve. Mourn and recover, for whatever strange reason, Shadow's been allowing me to do these things freely in this massive facility. The hedgehog's been making sure I'm fed and rested. There doesn't seem to be much he wants from me either. He's left me to myself, even taken notice when I've wanted hours alone to punch the wall and wail over all my torment."

Following a session of theatrically cackling at the moon, Infinite retreats to the Control Room where he hears Shadow's footsteps nearby. It's that time of day when the entire room is washed red, sunrise.

"Infinite?" the hedgehog addresses him from behind.

"Hmm?" Infinite replies without turning his head.

Shadow stands next to him.

"Where are you from? Do you wish to return home?"

"No," Infinite doesn't hesitate to say. "I'm from a place I'd be happy never to see again."

"I'm assuming your not interested in going down to Earth either?"

"Not really. Based on what you've told me, those humans sound like a bunch of self-destructive monsters. Course, I'm one to talk."

"They are. I hate most of them but I'll admit, it gets lonely up here without Maria."

"Whose Maria? You've mentioned her several times now."

"A human girl, a friend. She's dead."

"Hmm, dead like my squad," Infinite states, folding his arms. "I still think about them. They perished defending Eggman's Facility against a G.U.N. Agent, against another version of you."

"Hmph, I would never join forces with G.U.N.. They've served as useful idiots in the past but nothing more. They were the ones who killed Maria."

"Intriguing," Infinite remarks, his ears perking.

Shadow is transparent with the jackal.

"I've been around a long time, long enough to know that most other Shadows have only fragmented memories of who they are, where they came from. The one you met probably questions which memories are real and which are false. I, on the other hand, remember everything, every detail, no matter how long ago or how gruesome it was... it's all clear in my mind, it never fades."

They're quiet. The beauty of the red and orange sun rays overpowers their moodiness. Loathing becomes meaningless. In fact, Infinite has the random urge to laugh and does so, chuckling slightly.

"Yes, I do think I'd like to stay here," he realizes.

"Then stay. I find pleasure in your company," Shadow says openheartedly. "Maria would say you're a drama queen. Endearing. I don't know if you realize this, but it's been a month since you arrived and I haven't once wanted to kill you since you awoke."

Infinite closes his eyes, letting his hands rest by his side. His perpetual anger subsides.

"You're awkward but I think I understand what you meant to say," he responds.

"I said what I meant," Shadow indicates. "You're an intruder but you're harmless."

Infinite hums, annoyed.

"The warmth of the sun halts me from being insulted. I'm a commander, a dangerous weapon."

Shadow brushes this comment off.

"Yes yes, you and your poetry, fox."

"I'm a jackal!" Infinite snaps with a hint of laughter.

"That's what I said," Shadow replies.

"No, you called me a fox again," Infinite corrects him.

Shadow stops to think.

"Oh. I suppose I did, didn't I? I'm sorry, Infinite the Jackal, but you remind me of a fox."