Chapter 7: Day Two

I woke up the next day feeling completely.... spent? I look around me as my eyes slowly adjust to the bathroom. Recalling what happened last night I looked down once again at the paper and shuddered. He's seen her, he knows Akira is his daughter. "Oh God." I said, running a hand on my face.

I tried pulling myself from the floor and failed, my legs numb. "Shit." I muttered under my breath as I scrambled for something to hold on to, pulling myself from the cold floor. After three unsuccessful attempts, I finally make it and slowly made my way back to the room after washing my face.

I see Akira sprawled on the bed and I couldn't help but smile. Just like her father, I thought and immediately slap myself. Get a grip on it Lyla, the man is dead, he's gone for good.

You lie bad.

Yes, yes I knew he's still alive, and probably hiding somewhere in the shadows but, couldn't I set my mind to  rest by not believing it?

You know you have to face your demons Lyla. You can't always run from him. Max is her fucking father.

Pushing the thoughts away, my eyes focus on Akira who was now sitting in bed with a look of fear evident on her face.

Shit. You messed up Lyla.

"Hey," I say shakingly smiling a little. She doesn't return the smile back.

"Oh", was all my mind said.

I sit on the side of the bed, stretching out my hand to touch her but she scoots away, avoiding my gaze.

"Akira, I'm sorry okay?" she mumbled something under her breath still not looking at me.

"Was that for my ears?", I ask tentatively.

"No," she said simply still avoiding me. I take in a deep breath and start again, "Akira, there are things you'll have to know, things I need to tell you, but now is not the time, you're too young now."

"Please..." I say again, rather softly this time. Yeah, y'all probably think it's not right as a mother to do this, but hey, Akira's the only family I've got, she means the world to me.

"It's alright mom," she said in her tiny little, rubbing her nose with the back of her hand. She shifts closer to me, coming in for a hug. I hug her, ruffling her hair a little and give her a kiss on her forehead.

After our little moment, I quickly prepare her for school, making breakfast and getting myself ready as well.

After dropping her off at school, I make my way to the office, taking a mental note of the meeting I had with the managing directors of the company at two.

I arrive at the office shortly after and head to the reception's desk, greeting her cheerfully as I passed by. I could now find my way easily around the company considering yesterday's tour and how fast I had learnt.

Using the elevator, I pushed the button that lead to the third floor and waited patiently. The doors open minutes later, signalling my arrival and I walk out in smooth long strides, taking my time to look at everything once again. I smiled when I got to my office and pushed the door gently, entering.

Closing the door firmly behind, I stood there looking around me again, taking the sight in. Man, I loved this place, I thought to myself smiling. I take my time to look at everything again, thinking to myself.

My moment was disrupted when Eloise barged, making loud noises with her heels, with no respect so much as to knock before entering. Straining myself from flaring, I shut my eyes tightly and quickly mask it with a huge smile as she got closer to me.

God I'm so fake. I know.

"Oh hey, I see you've already gotten used to this place haven't you?" she asked with an equally fake smile.

"Yeah, I have. This place, amazing. I said, purposely emphasizing on the amazing.

"Yeah, I know" she said, laughing nervously, her eyes looking anywhere else but me.

"So what's up?" I asked, changing the topic. "Nothing really, we just have to go through his schedule for the month and probably teach you how to draw one before meeting the directors at 2." she finished.

"Yeah right. Let's get started then." I said already wanting to go through with this. About an hour later, we were done going through his schedule, I also learnt how to draw one myself and how to take notes and listen all at once.

My handwriting was pretty bad though, for lacking the use of a writing tool for a long time and Eloise kept laughing at me but I wasn't bothered. I can't blame her, she probably hasn't hustled on the cruel streets to survive before.

Soon, it was a few minutes to 2:00pm, 5 minutes left, to be exact and I gathered my stuff to leave for the conference room Eloise had pointed out to me the day before. I got there exactly at 2 and pushed the door open, revealing gentlemen, both young and old, clad in suits.

I was shaking, deep within but I couldn't show it. I can't. It won't help if I did. I straighten my shoulders, looking as serious as ever and greeted them in my unusually deep voice.

Few of the young men where surprised at how deep my voice was for a female and I was disappointed, quickly hiding it with a smile.

Pleasantries weren't exchanged, we just went straight to business and I liked that. They probably know about me which explained why they didn't bother asking me but well, nothing much to say.

"You know, it's just a meeting with us, you didn't necessarily have to bring a pad along," one said twirling a pen in his hand smirking. "Oh right, I apologise," I said, slightly embarrassed but still keeping a straight face, my jaw tightening.

He looked disappointed, that his attempt to make me uncomfortable backfired and I was really having difficulties in restraining myself from saying a big fat "HA" in his face.

After his continuous attempts to make me uncomfortable failed terribly, the meeting ended. They appeared to like me well except Mr Grumpy Face, but I didn't care.Thanking them once again, I quickly left for the house, stopping to pick up Akira on the way.

A/N. Please vote, comment and share. Thanks