Prologue (pt 4)

(Summer before 1st year in high school)
Kageyama Aiko's POV

"Yuu?  What high school should I go to?"  I ask the boy.  He lifts his head from one of my pillows and looks my way.

"Not sure, what schools did you get accepted into?"  I grab the pile of letters from my desk and flip through them.

"Aobajohsai, Shiratorizawa, Nekoma, Karasuno, Hyakkaou, Kaibara Municipal, Seika, Seirin, Fumizuki, and Fukurōdani.  There were more school that I applied too but I haven't heard from them yet." He sits up properly and stares at me in shock.

"That's a lot of schools!  Some of them are far too!  Like Nekoma and Fukurōdani!!  Those two schools are in Tokyo, right?"  I nod.

"Mom said that if I decided to go to a school that was far enough, she would get a studio apartment for me to live in." He nods.  Yuu gets off of my bed and comes over to my desk to look through the letters with me.

"Are there any that have caught your eye?  Y'know, ones that your leaning towards?"

"Yeah.  My top picks are Nekoma, Karasuno, and Aobajohsai."  He picks up the letter from Shiratorizawa.

"Kinda surprised Shiratorizawa wasn't part of that list."  I shrug.

"Nah, Tofu would never forgive me if I went there.  Also, there is no way my brother would get into that school, the entrance exam would be way to difficult for him."

He nods and continues looking through the letters.  "Ah!"

"Hmm?  What is it?" I look at him.

"Karasuno!  I was planning to go there!  I was able to pass the exam!"

"Oh yeah, I remember that school.  Tobio would be able to pass the exam, probably.  I like their uniforms.  It's pretty simplistic, though I do like Nekoma's uniform better."
Yuu points a finger at me, shocked.

"No way!!  Karasuno has the best uniforms!  Military style all the way!  Plus their girls uniform is pretty nice too!  I wouldn't mind seeing you in it!" He jokes, winking at the last part.  I look away awkwardly.

"Umm, yeah.  About that.  I wouldn't wear the girls uniform."  Yuu looks at me confused. "Hey, uh, lets sit down for this." He nods and we both sit on my bed.

"Hey, Ai is everything okay?" He asks worriedly.  I nod.

"Everything's fine.  I just want to tell you something." I take a deep breath and organise my thoughts.  "Yuu, I'm transgender, female to male.  I've been putting off telling you because I wanted to be sure of myself and, uh, not gonna lie, I was a bit nervous."  I look to him and see a bright smile.

"I'm so glad you told me!!  If there's anything I can do to help your transition, please don't hesitate to ask!"  He pulls me into a tight hug.  I bury my face into his shirt.  He pats my back, reassuringly. We stay like that for a few minutes.

"Hey, Yuu?  Can you call me Ren from now on?"  He thinks about it.

"Hmm, Kageyama Ren?  I like it!" We both chuckle.  He starts to pat my head.  "Have you told your family yet?" I shake my head.

"Not yet.  I wanted to tell you first.  I haven't even told Tofu or Iwa-chan."  He brings his hand to his heart.

"I'm honoured!"  I grab one of my pillows and hit him.

"You dork!" He grabs the other pillow and defends himself.

After our mini pillow fight, we decide to take a bath.

"Yuu, do you want to shower first?" He nods. "Cool, I'll set up the bath. Bubbles or nah?" He looks at me like I have three heads. "Bubbles it is." Yuu gets into the shower while I set up the bath. I poor the bubble solution into the water. After setting up the bath, I look under the sink. "Shit!" Yuu pops his head out from behind the shower curtain.

"What's wrong, Ren?" I smile to myself, noticing that he's already adapted to using my new name. I quickly focus back to our problem.

"The toy bin's not under the sink."

"Huh?! Do you think your brother took it? Oh! Maybe your mom moved it into your closet?" I shrug.

"I'm not sure, I'll go check."

I exit the bathroom and check Tobio's room first. He's currently away at a volleyball camp, so I don't have to worry about him yelling at me to get out of his room. I look under his bed and in his closet, the bin isn't there. I go back to my room and check my closet. I see the bin, with a sticky note on it.

'Hey baby, I noticed you left your toy bin in the bathroom again. I've asked you before to leave them in your room. I know you use them when you take baths, but please, try to remember. ~With love, Mom'

I take to note off and please it on my desk. I grab the bin and hurry back to the bathroom. When I get back, Yuu is already in the bath.

"YOU FOUND THEM!!" Yuu shouts. I nod. I hand the box over to him.

"Ok, I'm gonna get in the shower now." I take a quick shower and rush to the bath. "It's always so cold after a shower!" Yuu nods.

"Agreed! But hey, bath time makes up for the cold!"

"So, what are we working with today?" I ask, curious of today's theme.

"I was thinking of a story like Rapunzel, but cooler! Y'know, like with dinosaurs and aliens!" I nod, continuously as I grab a Barbie from the bin.

"She can be Rapunzel! Oh, instead of her being kidnapped by some old lady we should have her be kidnapped by aliens! Aliens who have a pet dinosaur!" I say excitedly. Yuu looks at me with start eyes.

"Hell yeah!"

~time skip to after the bath~

"That was fun! We should start writing these stories down. They would make one cool children's book." Yuu exclaims. He lies down on my bed. I lie down next to him.

"Maybe not a children's book," I say, thinking back to when our Rapunzel got killed, "but maybe a comic or something?"
"Yeah! That would probably work better, that way there could be visuals!"

We both closed our eyes and lay in a comfortable silence. Yuu starts to play with my hair. He turns and faces me, I do the same. We open our eyes.

"Hey, Ren, do you want me to cut your hair for you?"