"Doubts"

Beam stared at his buzzing cell phone.  His brow furrowed when he saw Mom's name appear.  

 "What is wrong?"  Forth saw Beam's restless face.  Beam looked at Forth and tried to smile.

 "Nothing," he answered as he stood up and picked up his cellphone.  He walked to the corner of the room and picked up the phone.

 "Hello Beam," said a cold voice on the other end of the phone.

 Beam sighed "Mae" he replied.

 "Where do you live now?"  asked her mother without further ado.  Beam fell silent. He could not tell where he lived.  He knows how his mother is. Crazy. Seems like.

 "Mae in Bangkok? How long?"  he asked

 His mother chuckled.  Beam did not tell him where he lived.  He knew that meant Beam was living with someone.

 "Um ... Mae will stay in hilton for a week," answered his mother.

 "Tell Beam Mae to stay in what room, Beam will come tonight," he said.  His mother wants to say something but Beam has hung up. Beam signed and returned to the dining table.

 "There is a problem?"  asked Forth. He could see Beam's face turning agitated.  Beam shook his head and smiled

 "My mother is in Bangkok. So tonight I will not have dinner with you," Beam said.  Forth looked at Beam in surprise.

 "You want me to accompany you?"  asked Forth.

 Beam shook his head quickly.

 "No need. It won't take long," he replied.

 Forth looked Beam closely "Um ... if you change your mind. Tell me," he said, holding Beam's hand gently.  Beam looks at Forth's hand which is holding his hand tightly. Of course he could not bring Forth before his mother.  Unlike Forth's mother, her mother will not be fooled. He could not say that Forth was just his boss. His mother will know with just one look.

 ****

 Beam walked to his mother's desk.  His mother got up and spread her arms.  Beam welcomes his mother's hug.

 "I miss you," his mother said.  Beam just nodded. His mother let go of his arms and sat down.  Beam sat opposite him. They ordered food and drinks.

 "So you broke up with Daniel?"  her mother asked suddenly. Beam stopped eating and looked at his mother.  Beam doesn't need to answer the question. His mother already knows.

 His mother chuckled to see Beam said a thousand languages.

 "Then who do you live with now?"  he asked.

 Beam puts down his fork and knife to eat.  He drank his wine and looked at his mother closely.  Looks like he didn't come here for dinner peacefully.

 "With anyone it is not Mae business," said Beam.  His mother looked at the injured Beam. He sighed

 "I heard you moved to GAT ... did you sleep with one of the bosses there?"  her mother asked coldly. Beam shut up.

 His mother drank the wine in her glass.

 "Didn't you learn from your and Daniel's experience? They all just want your body. Love? Bullshit. Eventually they will realize that living with you is not what they want. They want more. Family, children, wives who can be introduced to people without  must accept negative views or sneers, "his mother said.

 Beam fell silent.  He knows that.

 "So, stop sleeping with men and go back to normal Beam"

 Beam squeezed the napkin on the dining table and looked at his mother sharply "Normal? Normal Beam Mae!"  he said sadly. His heart hurts. Mother, the only woman he hopes can support her, breaks his heart every time they meet.