Shattered Dreams

Stunned I stand there like an idiot almost being hit by Mel. Thankfully my fiancé has quicker reflexes pulling me away so Mel collides into the wall.  She bounces off and lands on the ground hard moaning. I smile in satisfaction at the outcome but curiosity is needling me for answers. Grabbing Mel  by the shoulder, I jerked her up from the floor. 

" Mel what the hell."  I demand securing both of her hands around her back to stop further attacks against me.

"You had it coming for taking a prince for me." Mel accuses struggling which enables her to break  free of my grip. Squirming away she put some distance between us.

"I didn't take Jacob away. He chose me"  I reply.

"You seduced him, I saw you in the barn" Mel claims .

" He was the one that kissed me!!"

"This is not fair" Mel screams out. "I'm the one that studied table manners and looked perfect everyday. You did none of that and still got a royal not me."

"All the things you mention Melissa are things I can teach Andy myself."  Jacob interrupted wrapping his arms around me.

 His presence turns Mel's rage into confusion and despair. ""I'm the beautiful one why pick her?"

"I believe Andy is just as beautiful as you" Jacob says.

"Huh?" Mel laughs pointing at me. "That isn't beauty just a mess of red tangles." At her remark I try to tame my fizzy curls but Jacob stops me.

" Andy's beauty isn't just her physical appearance which I love, but her soul. She is a person my people can come to with their problems. Someone who will not buy every dress that my trust can fund. I don't want a shallow woman like you at my side. I need someone I can lean on when things get tough." 

"Those aren't the duties of princesses." Mel yells looking at Jacob from head to toe like he is a foreign creature. "However if you desire a princess like that.  I can transform into that woman better than my sister ever could." 

"Well, it's a moot point because I am not even a prince." Jacob reveals.

"What!" I scream in dismay at the confession feeling confused. Jacob isn't a prince, but that doesn't make any sense? All day he acted like royalty and didn't refute the claim until now.. Was this all a huge joke to trick me to fall for him.

"I knew it"  Mel shouts triumphantly her whole face lighting up with a grin. "I knew something was suspicious with him. And now I know why he didn't even bother to look at me. He isn't even a prince or real royal, that's why he went for Andy..  You thought you were the important one sister" Mel mocks. "But all you got was a pretender who was looking for an affair with a simpleton, and you fit the bill." 

I'm speechless unable to argue my sister's claims. "Melissa. That is enough"  Father scolds looking in anger at Mel bullying me. I try to block out what they're saying. All I can do is stare at Jacob and wonder how he could do this to me. Why make me think he loves me and than lie straight to my face? 

"No, Father, I'm not done,"  Mel delivers giving Jacob another arrogant stare. "Pretending to be a prince is pathetic and Andy should be proud to get what you have to offer her, nothing"

"If you let me finish my statement  from before. I'm not Prince Jacob, but King Jacob the first. And that will make your sister a Queen when we marry." Jacob announced with some smugness.

I did not know who's the most stun Mel or me. I look around the room and see Mark grinning. And Grandma even has a smile on her face telling me this is true.