Travelling and Trouble

The next day dawned cold and rainy, and it seemed the heavens had opened over the Company. Clarrei had her hood turned up against the wind, her eyes scrunched up as the rain ran down her back in rivulets. Dori, who had been complaining the entire time, called out to the grey wizard who had rode at the head of their troupe for most of the journey so far:
"Mr Gandalf! Can't you do something about this deluge?"
Gandalf, in a voice filled with sarcasm, replied:
"It is raining, Master Dwarf. And it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you want to change the weather of the world," he continued, turning in his seat to face the tea-loving dwarf, "you should find yourself another wizard!"
Clarrei chuckled. Gandalf may have been a wizard, but that didn't mean he used his magic for such trivial things as the weather.
"Are there any?" Asked Bilbo with interest.
"Any what?"
"Other wizards?"
"There are five of us." Answered Gandalf. "The greatest of our order is Saruman, the White. Then there are the two Blue wizards..." He paused, "You know, I've quite forgotten their names?"
"Balthazar and Beleor." Reminded Clarrei, who had met the two, and had become close friends. Gandalf nodded and smiled.
"Yes, of course, Balthazar and Beleor."
"And who is the fifth?" Asked Bilbo, with curiosity.
"Well, that would be Radagast, the Brown."
Clarrei smiled at the mention of her mentor.
"He's a gentle soul," she explained, "and he prefers the company of animals to others."
Thorin's deep voice sounded at her side, making Clarrei jump in surprise.
"So what made him decide to raise you?"
She turned to see Thorin watching her with an unreadable look in his piercing blue eyes.
"As I said, he is a gentle soul, not one to turn away a helpless newborn."

----------------------------------------------

Later that day, the Company arrived at the charred remains of a building. Thorin looked up at the ruins, before pulling his horse to a halt.
"We will camp here for the night. Fili, Kili," he said, his nephews snapping their heads up at his words, "look after the ponies. Gloin."
"Aye?"
"Get a fire going."
"Right-o." Said the red-haired dwarf before unpacking his tinder-box. He turned to see Clarrei kneeling at the foot of the ruins, one pale hand placed on the ashes that lay on the ground. He walked round to where she knelt, raising an eyebrow at her behaviour.
"Clarrei, what are you-"
She suddenly opened her eyes wide as she looked at him, and Thorins heart froze. Her eyes, usually a comforting, soft aqua, were now deep gold. The whites of her eyes had vanished, and flecks of green and amber glowed in the fiery depths. Her pupils had changed to slits, and were now lined in bright yellow. The last time he had seen eyes like that, Dale had been burning. Clarrei spoke, and her voice seemed deeper somehow:
"A farmer and his family used to live here. His wife and sons. The fire was knocked from the hearth by something, something large, and the house caught ablaze."
She blinked, shook her head, and her eyes were the same blue, silver and gold once more. She spoke, her voice shaky but at its normal pitch.
"I think it would be wiser to move on."
"I agree." Said Gandalf, stepping up and looking at the farmhouse with sad eyes. "We could make for the Hidden Valley. Thorin?"
Thorin blinked and shook the memories of the dragon from his mind. Clarrei's eyes must have been a trick of the light. He suddenly registered what the wizard had said, and he whipped around and growled:
"I have told you already. I will not go near that place."
"Why not?" Gandalf sounded exasperated. "The Elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice."
"I do not need their advice." snapped Thorin. Clarrei then stepped forward, laying a gentle hand on Thorin's arm, sending shooting sparks and tingles across his skin.
"Thorin, we have a map that we cannot read, Lord Elrond could help us. He is a friend of mine, and a good man."
Thorin looked Clarrei in her big, blue eyes, and found himself almost buckling to what she was suggesting. Food and rest sounded all well and good, but with Elves?
"Help?" He said, his voice choked with memory and sadness. "A dragon attacks Erebor, what help came from the Elves." He continued, growing more incensed with each memory. "Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred holes, the Elves looked on and did nothing! And now you," he continued, looking to the pair who were trying to convince him to take refuge with the enemy, "would have me seek help from the people who betrayed my grandfather, betrayed my father."
Clarrei looked at him with...what was that? Pity?
"You are neither of them." She said, suddenly removing her hand from his arm, and Thorin found, to his astonishment, that he was disappointed. The wizard bristled at Thorin's stubbornness.
"I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past!"
Thorin growled, fury evident in his tense shoulders and bared teeth.
"I did not know that they were yours to keep!"

----------------------------------------------

Clarrei could feel the anger radiating off the dwarf prince in waves. She could understand why. He had waited 60 years for his home to be reclaimed, and was not likely to take refuge with the race who had refused the dwarves help. Gandalf pursed his lips, before turning on his heel and storming off.
"Gandalf?" Called Clarrei. "Where are you going?"
"To seek the company of the only one around here who's got any sense." Answered the tall wizard over his shoulder.
"And who's that?" Asked Bilbo, from where he stood with his pony, Myrtle.
"Myself, Mr. Baggins!" snapped Gandalf, and Clarrei could hear him mutter as he stormed away:
"I've had enough of dwarves for one day."

That night, the Company were sitting down to yet another dinner of stew. Bofur dolled out bowls while shielding the pot from Bombur, who hovered about him like an overgrown, overweight vulture. Bilbo also paced around the floppy-hatted dwarf, wringing his hands nervously.
"He's been gone a long time." He fretted, running his fingers through his curly hair.
"Who has?" Asked Bofur, as he dolled out more soup. Bilbo looked at him, confused, as thought the answer should be obvious.
"Gandalf."
"He's a wizard," Clarrei added from where she sat, "they aren't exactly likely to do what others tell them. Trust me, Bilbo, Gandalf will return when he chooses too."
Bofur nodded, smiling.
"Exactly. Now," he said, turning to the hobbit, "do us a favour, take this to the lads." He handed Bilbo two bowls of stew to give to Fili and Kili, who were still on pony watch, and Bilbo smiled slightly as he stumbled off into the forest. Clarrei watched him go, and she felt a strong hand of fear grip her heart for the little hobbit. Something was wrong here, something was very wrong, even if Thorin couldn't see it. Oh, why did he have to be so stubborn? But she, too, wished for Gandalf's speedy return. She had felt something stirring within her, a deep sense of power, something she had never felt before. The rush of power she had felt when she had touched the ashes of the farmhouse frightened her. A sudden presence at her side made her jump. Clarrei turned to see Thorin standing there, an awkward and....was that shyness in his smile? Clarrei beamed at him and shifted along the log.
"Would you like to sit down?"
Thorin nodded, joining her almost tentatively. They say in an awkward silence for a minute before Thorin spoke.
"I would like to apologise, Miss Clarrei. What I said at the outcrop was not decent, and I should not have acted as though I knew more of suffering than you do."
Clarrei was taken aback. This proud dwarf prince was apologising to her, a humble healer? He wouldn't be so welcoming to you, she reminded herself, if he knew what you really were. She silenced the voice of doubt, and turned to smile at the black-haired dwarf.
"It's quite alright, Thorin. I understand you have went through pain. And please," she added, with a laugh, "just call me Clarrei."
Thorin dipped his head to her, but she could see the deep red blush that covered his face in the firelight. He was shy, Clarrei realised. This beautiful man was actually shy to talk to her.

----------------------------------------------

Thorin was amazed he was even able to speak. If she had been beautiful in the sunlight, then by Mahal, her beauty by firelight was incomprehensible. He knew he was blushing, and he could see Balin's grin out of the corner of his eye, and knew he would have to answer questions later, but he didn't care at present. A sudden crashing through the undergrowth distracted him from Clarrei's ethereal beauty. Fili came crashing into the clearing. Leaning his hands on his knees, he panted:
"Uncle! Trolls...they have the ponies...Bilbo went to get them back...but they got him..."
Throin felt rage swell in him.
"You sent the hobbit after trolls?"
He shook his head, despairing of his nephews stupidity. Seizing his sword, he assembled the Company. He turned to Clarrei,
"You wait here."
She looked shocked, her blue eyes wide.
"Thorin, I'm coming with you."
Thorin knew he didn't have time to argue, so he sighed and nodded.
"Very well, but you stay in the forest."

A.N/ Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has read, voted for or favourited this story. I never believed that my story would become this popular, and it means a lot to me that so many of you like it! Thanks for reading and favouriting, Merry belated Christmas, and the next chapter should be up soon :-) I love you all, my fellow hobbits!!!