Chapter 1

Tan paws thumped on the ground, the grass beneath them was soft on the cat's pads and the sunlight was shining through the dappled leaves. The clean, forest air flowed into the cat's lungs. 

The black tortoiseshell came to a stop, her ears and nose twitching. There was a mouse scuffing over the grass and twigs nearby. 

The cat whipped their head around, their green eyes blazing in the sunlight, the shimmer of faint stars could be seen in their depths. The cat dropped to a crouch and slithered forward, moving like a silent snake. She slid out her claws, a smile forming on her lips. The tortie cat launched herself at the mouse, adrenaline flowing through her veins and her claws glinting with the greenery of the woods.

Faith's eyes snapped open at the sound of loud footsteps. She let out a small hiss, her green eyes narrowing at the soft, brown, carpet beneath her. She glared up at what had awoken her. One of her owners had wandered downstairs, wearing a soft pelt, and their face looking tired.

Faith stood up and arched her back in a stretch and a yawn racked her body. Her owner noticed this and bent down, running a hairless paw down Faith's back. Faith let out a soft purr to pleasure them. Her mind was still focused on her dream. This wasn't the first one she had had. Almost every night, she wandered a forest. It seemed to call out to her, beckoning her to keep exploring, it was like the forest wanted her too.

Faith let out another yawn, still tasting the forest on her tongue. The sun shone through the clear hole in the nest's wall. A window, her owners had called it. 

Faith leapt up onto the small ledge and her eyes soaked up the scenery before her. There were a few plump birds tweeting to each other in a bush outside. Faith gazed at them hungrily, she had almost caught the darn mouse in her dream. Her claws tapped the wood as she continued to stare and she licked her lips, her stomach beginning to grumble. 

One of the birds turned in her direction, cocking its little head in confusion. Faith let out a yowl and raised her claws, trying to slash at the bird. Her claws scraped against the seemingly invisible surface, and her back claws scratched against the sill, as she lost her balance. They slipped off and Faith slid ungracefully down the wall. She flipped in midair and landed on all fours, her claws clacking on the smooth surface beneath them. She clenched her teeth and a growl rose in her throat. Those birds were just taunting her now! Faith shook her head and padded off, away from the stupid birds.

Faith leapt up onto another sill and gazed at the front clearing outside. Faith's eyes went wide as she felt disappointment prick her heart. It was so close yet so far out of reach. 

Her green eyes wandered around and found a tiger cat sitting with a group of black she-cats. The tiger cat eye's wandered from the group, who were looking at him with adoring eyes. With a smirk plastered on his face, his dark green eyes found Faith's. Faith held his gaze, trying to read it. This cat was outside. What was it like, Faith always seemed to wonder. The tiger cat cocked his head and his smirk widened, he sent her a wink. Faith let out a hiss, the fur on her shoulders rising in annoyance. This tom seemed like a flirt. She growled at the tiger cat through the window then hopped down from the ledge.

Faith shook her head, dismissing all her thoughts of the tiger tom. Instead, her thoughts traveled to how those cats were outside, wild. Faith's claws twitched in annoyance. Her owners never let her go outside, and that was her all-time dream since she was a kit. Something was calling her, beckoning her. Every dream the feeling always seemed to grow. There was something about those woods. That something made her fur tingle, her claws itch, her heart speed up. 

Her dream still lingered in her mind. She had felt free, happy, like she was home. Her eyes found the forest of trees across the large clearing, that was blowing in the light breeze. Sometimes, if she squinted hard enough, she could almost see blurs of cats running through the undergrowth.

Faith bit her lip, thoughts whirling around in her head.

Why was the feeling so strong?

And how long would it be until she figured out why it called to her?