Chapter 3

Faith padded after the starry warrior as she headed toward the woods that had called to Faith for moons. 

She stopped as her paws touched something beneath them. Faith glanced down and saw that grass was beneath her pads. Grass! Faith let out a small squeal of delight. The starry cat in front of her let out a purr of amusement. Faith glanced up at her and gave her a small nod, awkwardness shining in her eyes. The cat ducked her head and waved her tail again, pointing at the woods beyond them. Faith felt excitement spread through her veins, like fire licking the sky as it rose higher. 

A soft breeze whistled through the tree branches of the forest and it flowed down toward Faith and starry cat, only increasing Faith's excitement. She was really outside, and she was heading toward the forest she had dreamed about.

Faith stopped as the starry cat froze mid-stride. Her ears were pricked and she was glancing around.

"What is it?" Faith whispered, her eyes following the starry cat's gaze.

There was a brown tom with black stripes and a pair dark green eyes peering out from a building, watching Faith with interest. Faith stiffened, her fur prickled. It was the cat from the day before.

Faith stole a glance at the starry she-cat. She was standing patiently, watching Faith's movements. Faith turned back to the tom, who had a flirtatious smirk on his face, as he eyed Faith up and down. The starry cat hissed and bared her teeth at him. The tom's eyes darted to where the cat was standing, he didn't seem to see her. Faith cast a glance at the tom and padded up to the starry cat's side.

"I'll follow you." She murmured in the spirit cat's ear. The cat gave her a nod and a smile, then began walking toward the woods again. Faith could feel the flirty cat's gaze on her back as she padded after her starry guide.

They came to the edge of the forest, the sun was higher in the sky and shining down upon the two cats. The forest was surrounded by a fence that marked the borders of her former owner's farm. Faith leaned forward and sniffed it, curiously. She glanced over at the cat beside her, who was now become slightly more visible against the trees. Her starry fur now had a brown tint to it, and her eyes were green and shining in the sun. The cat gave her a smile and slipped her body through the fence in front of them. Faith felt excitement and joy fizzle in the tips of her claws, as she followed after the she-cat.

Faith's paws landed on the ground, twigs crunching under them. Faith's mouth fell open in a wide grin. She was in the woods! She let out another quiet squeal. This is what I've waited for! Finally! Faith turned and beamed at the she-cat. The she-cat was looking back at her with pride and hope in her green eyes. 

Suddenly, the undergrowth near them rustled, sending a bird fluttering off of a branch it was perched on, letting out a surprised chirp as it flew. Faith turned and moved closer to her companion. Faith glanced over at her, confusion in her eyes. The ferns rustled again and then the starry cat was gone.