the new copper

—————

The pub was in full swing, it was lucky that Grace came along when she did. Harry and I were grateful for the extra hands.
"Is it always this busy in the day time?" Grace asks out to either of us. Harry explains that these men were on their way to St. Andrews, which she cutely thought meant they were going to pray. She's not going to know what hit her in a place like this.

I heard Tommy through the cubbyhole, Grace got there before me and Tommy spent a few seconds staring at her, giving her a once over which made my jealousy rise. Ordering a bottle of rum, Grace looked on edge as I grabbed the bottle of rum for her and placed on the shelf. "Harry said that it is on the house" Grace said then smiled at me slightly.

"You, need to come with me" he ordered me, I simply nod and go to tell Harry that Tommy needs me. Harry doesn't ask he just says me to have a good rest of the day. I grab my coat and bag before leaving I turn to Grace "I hope the rest of the day isn't too overwhelming for you, good luck!"

I decided I should be as nice as possible to Grace even though I don't trust her, and I didn't like the way Tommy looked at her. But I guess that isn't her fault, she's beautiful - there isn't anything she can do about it. Tommy was marching ahead and I had to take double the amount of steps so my little legs could keep up.
"Arthur was beaten up, I have a feeling it'll be by that copper" He started just as we were arriving at the house. "Obviously don't let on you know anything alright?" Tommy had turned to say to me before we walked in the house.

Walking in I heard the boys mocking Ada after she said that she's a 'trained nurse'. "Don't worry boys the real nurse is here" I announce myself before walking up to Arther to look at the damage. Polly was attending to his fingers that had been broken, wrapping them up. I grab the rum from Tommy's hands and tell Arth to take a big swig.
"This is gunna sting A" before taking some rum onto a towel before pressing onto his deep cuts on his face. Arthur winces and tries to pull away but I keep his head steady, "Come on Arth, handle it like a man" I teased, which I got a "fuck off Carl" in return.

As I was looking over his cuts, he looks toward Tommy and starts explaining what had happened. Thomas was right it had been the copper. Funnily enough he wants the Peaky boys to help him. I had to stop myself from laughing, you do this to ask for a alliance. What a prick. I then thought back on Grace who is Irish, was persistent to work at the Garrison which is well known for its link to the Peaky Blinders and showed up the same day as the new copper in town. Interesting.

I try to keep myself busy wiping away the blood off of A's face as Arthur starts getting irritated with Tommy's coyness. Arthur then looks to Polly and I in search of an answer "What the fuck is wrong with him lately?" He asks. I keep quiet not sure if I was worthy of speaking at the family meeting. "If I knew I would buy the cure from Comptons chemist" Polly replied quickly. She always knew what to say even under pressure although I think she had meant what she said.

~~~~~~~~

It was late when I left the Shelby household, John offering to walk me but Tom interjected saying he needed to talk to me so he'll do it. John looked at the girl giving her a smile frown. He had missed her and wanted to spend time with her.
"John lets do something soon, aye? Just the two of us?" I ask, putting my coat on. He nods whilst passing me my bag. "Are you asking me on a date Ms. Hemp?"
"Oh please, only in your dreams darling" I say before winking and giving him a little tap on the cheek.

Tommy just tugged at my hand "Cmon, I ain't got all night love". I waved bye to everyone before shutting the door behind me. Tom still had my hand in his grip I tried to keep my cool, the young girl in me wanting to squeal. Once we started walking, Tom dropped my hand and put his arm round my shoulder to keep me warm. I wrap my own arm around his waist as we head towards my house.
"Tommy, that new girl at the pub.." I start and he side eyes me being interested in learning of the new girl. "She turned up today asking for a job, she was extremely persistent. I don't know if I exactly trust her"
"Why cause she's after your job?" he squeezed my shoulder. I just rolled my eyes at him "Oh give it a rest like nobody is a better barmaid than moi!" hyping myself up. "Humble as always, Scar" he looks down at me with a slight grin on his face.

"I'm being serious though Tom, look into her background would ya? She turnt up on the same day as this copper and is persistent to work in the Peaky Blinders pub. It just doesn't sit right with me". We had arrived at my door so I stepped in front and turned to look at him. "I will find out everything about her and get back to you" I gave him a look of warning for him to know I'm being serious.
He pulls me in for a hug, "I will look into her, I promise."

He lets go and starts to walk off, I slightly shout to him "Hey! I thought you said you needed to talk to me?" He turns around but still walking backward he had a big grin on his face. "I lied Scar, I just always wanna be the one to walk you home!"
I giggled, this man will be the death of me. Before making my way into my house. Locking the door behind me, I start to take my coat off and light myself a cigarette. Walking up towards my room, I grabbed a book settling myself next to the window. No use in trying to sleep, I won't anyways.
I should've invited Tom in. I had thought to myself, he doesn't sleep either I know he don't.

                                     ~~~~~~~~~

Word got round quick that Danny Whizz-Bang has another episode on the Italian side of town. Killed a man, Danny stabbed him with the poor mans own knife. This would now mean that Tommy either has to deal with him or the Italians will and if Tommy didn't allow it, it would cause a war which really wasn't wanted.

Tommy came to me after he had 'shot' Danny, explaining what he actually did. He was continuously impressing me, any time I thought the man couldn't get any smarter he one upped himself.
"Now we have a good hiding spot, aye? It's even some place that prick won't dare to look. Seems to be all falling into place Tommy" I said looking up at him.

We stared at each other for a while I'm not sure why, I think maybe he needed a moment. A moment to calm himself back down. Even though the shooting might've been faked, the conversation Danny and him had before was real. It had shaken him regardless, Tommy wasn't a senseless man - in a way he was rather sensitive you just had to know what you were looking for to see it. When he loves you, he loves hard. Will do anything and every thing to keep you protected and safe. He doesn't like hurting people, it isn't in his nature.

His eyes bore into mine, not matter how many years i've known him and seen those eyes they're just as striking as the first time. The kind of striking that make you stutter your words, in a way they make you speechless. To others he looks cold, heartless yet to me he just looks exhausted, scared and broken. I reach out my hands to his face, lightly stroking my thumb done him cheek.
"You're not sleeping" I stated, matter of factly, I didn't need to ask and he didn't need to tell me. "Neither are you" he simply replied. Just how I know him, he knows me.