edith best

—————

—————

We all spent hours in that kitchen just like old times, joking and telling stories. The boys arguing and play fighting over little disagreements, it was as if I had only been away for a holiday not five years.

Tommy stayed relatively quiet, only making a comment here and there. The war had changed him but it also changed me. The things you see, the screams you hear, it was as if you had stepped into hell itself. You might've come back alive but you definitely didn't come back living. Constantly thinking of lives lost by brave soldiers, that had just been forgotten and left to rot.

I was grateful that all my boys made it back alive. Seeing them all together in that room gave me a great sense of contentment and relief. But I couldn't sit and ponder in those feelings for long. After all, I did come back for business.

I needed to talk to Tommy desperately. I had information which I think would be greatfully useful.
The reason I stayed dead and needed everyone to believe it so I could start up my own enterprise. I did just that. I have an army of men working for me, however none of them have seen me or met me. They don't even know I am a woman, I mean who would've thought I am. I had power and money and people were deathly afraid of my unseen alter ego. Things men associate women of being incapable of having.

Scarlett Hemp was known for her involvement with the Peaky Blinders from all those years ago so I needed to become someone else; something else.

Fredrick Hayes.

After I had disappeared, I was Edith Best. Edith Best works "for" Fredrick Hayes. I moved to London, like the Peaky Blinders I was also involved with the races. Over the past years 'Fredrick' became extremely close with Billy Kimber. They became great allies even though, Billy himself has never seen Fredrick in real life.
Thomas has heard of 'Fredrick Hayes', not exactly threatened but when is he ever? Scar had a plan and it was finally time for it all to start.

After a few hours they did need to get back to work, despite wanting to spend the whole day catching up with their old friend. As I was leaving I took Thomas aside. "Meet me at the Garrison tonight please, I would like to have a meeting with you" Tommy raised his eyebrows at my sudden professionalism. "I can do that, meet in the snug at 7?" I just nod dropping my professional act before giving him a hug goodbye.

The next few hours I spent, unpacking my stuff and looking around my old home. The amount of memories, mostly with my mother brought a smile to my face. I missed her greatly, being back here only made that stronger yet, it felt as if she was here with me. My father wasn't really present through out my life, not that I minded I didn't need him. My mother, Rose, was extremely strong and never needed my father for anything. When he left, she was relieved, he was annoying and exhausting.

I walked through my home, it was small and cosy. I had been living in grand huge houses recently and it was nice to be back. Big houses are so cold and just constantly remind you how lonely you are. I decide to have a bath and relax before my meeting. I needed to plan in my head to make sure I don't forget anything I need to say to Thomas. I wonder how he will react, not that he gives much reaction anyways. Will he expect it from me? Will he even want to partner up?

Fredrick Hayes was known for its independence but that's what I wanted for everyone to think. I hate Billy Kimber, he is a slimy, disgusting, misogynistic man which only made it funnier to me that he had fell so easily under my spell. I have planned to take him down since I had 'met' him. I would send men to meet with big clients as part of the Fredrick Hayes company. Edith Best posed as his secretary setting up meetings and sending men off to do the dirty work.

It was nearing 6 when she decided to get ready. I hated skirts, I always have, I much prefer trousers so I had suits, especially made in London for me. Under my blazer I usually had my gun and holster. I pondered over it for a second wondering whether I'd even need it. I shouldn't treat this any different to any other meeting. I thought to myself.

I was fully dressed when I let all my hair down, I simply styled it by pinning my front pieces of hair back. I put on a bit of mascara, put a cigarette in my mouth and off I went. My boots hit the cobbled streets as I walked towards the familiar bar. My suit brought attention from the men, which made them look at my face which brought even more attention to me. I walk towards the bar, ignoring the stares of the men of Small Heath.

Harry comes up to me "What can I get for you love?" before really noticing who he was talking to. He dropped the glass and it had smashed. I looked towards him guiltily before hopping onto the bar and slid off the other side to help him clean it up.
"I'm sorry, Harry. Didn't mean to frighten you, I swear"
I had worked in the Garrison for a few years before going to volunteer as a nurse. Harry was frozen staring at me, he was gobsmacked. So I just decided to leave him be, grabbing a bottle of whiskey and two glasses.
I walk into the snug with a sigh, it was going to be a while before I didn't have that reaction anymore.

I had poured out our drinks, even though Thomas wasn't here yet. I put a cigarette in my mouth and lit it. "Ain't I supposed to do that?" Tommy said cheekily, walking into the room and shutting the door behind him. I slightly chuckled before standing up to shake his hand.

"Hello, pleasure to meet you Mr Shelby. The names Edith Best" I say with a smile and a wink which he just stares at me smirking before shaking my hand.

"The pleasures all mine, Ms Best"