【audible apology】

as george stepped into alex's hospital room, his whole body was tense.

his hands were shaking, his leg hurt from walking around all night, hell, even his neck hurt.

he was sleep-deprived and terrified.

but he couldn't mess this up.

george practically forced himself to walk forward to alex's bed where the man was laying down, a small smile on his face.

when he reached the bed, he looked around the room and grabbed a chair, for he was too tired to stand any longer.

he dragged the seat back to where alex was, reluctantly sitting down.

the room fell silent for a while, the only sounds being the wind, which was coming through a window above alex's head, and the ticking of a clock.

tick 

tick 

tick

george longed to say something, but his mouth was too dry.

finally, alex must've gotten tired of the silence, for he spoke.

"so, how are you?" he spoke, turning his head to face his friend.

his voice came out gravelly and weak. he sounded broken... no, he sounded dead.

"how am i?  you're the one that got hit by a fucking truck, idiot," george spoke with a sharp tone he hadn't spoken in before.

in all honesty, he wasn't trying to sound mean or rude, he was just tired of everything.

george turned to face alex, only now realising the single-lined scratch on the left side of his face.

god, he looked awful.

his hair was a mess, the skin around his right eye was turning dark, he just looked like he was in so much pain.

george felt horrible.

"alex, i didn't mean it like that.. what i-"

"no, george, it's fine," alex spoke in a whisper.

george could feel his legs shaking.

"no, no, no, it's not fine alex, i- i ruined everything," he spoke, taking off his cap and running his hands through his hair.

george could feel hot tears start to escape, but he didn't care.

he forced himself to look at the ground so alex couldn't see, but it didn't work.

"i- i kicked you out of the.. the flat, and then you fucking get run over and it's all my fucking fault!" george was louder now, his voice frantic and beyond upset. he couldn't stop himself from sobbing.

"i'm so fucking sorry al, it's my fault.... if i just told you i loved you it would've been different if i just didn't break up with you then-"

"you.... you love me?"

the room fell silent yet again, the only noise being that goddamn clock.

"y-yeah, i just... i didn't want to say it while we were dating because i didn't know how you would react and-"

"george, calm down, i can't understand you, you're still crying," alex spoke, his voice almost drowned out by the man's sobs.

george had forgotten he was even crying.

he wiped away his tears on his sweatshirt and looked up at alex.

he took a deep breath.

"george, please just tell me the truth, okay?"

he couldn't mess this up.

"well, when we started dating, i was so... scared of messing everything up. ya know? like if i said the wrong thing, i'd not only ruin us but our friendship."

george sighed.

"george, you know that i'd be your friend no matter what, right?" alex spoke up, almost making george jump.

"yeah, i- i know, it's just that when i saw niall and you, his lips where mine should've been, i just... kinda lost it."

"kinda?" alex spoke, laughing a little.

george just had to chuckle at alex's laugh.

it was so cute.

"ugh, if i could take everything back, i would," george spoke, putting his hat back on his head.

"maybe you can."

george turned to alex.

"what do you mean?"

"you've been my best mate for years, you let me live with you for free, so of course i'll be your friend."

george was smiling until he heard that last word.

'friend'

he wanted to be more than alex's friend.

but, he knew that it would take time for the two to warm up to each other, so george kept his mouth shut.

maybe, just maybe, someday, he'd be alex's boyfriend.