одиннадцать

the red room academy russia

russia

BEFORE
galina

I WAS scared. I wasn't going to lie. With Natalia completing the graduation ceremony, she would be assigned any day now. And that meant that not only would she be taken away from me, but she would be taken away from the only thing she's ever know.

The Red Room was all we had. We didn't really know what else was out there.

Natalia was asleep next to me. Her arm was draped across my stomach and her head was nuzzled between my arm. She was exhausted from the procedure last night, and after crying herself to sleep, she luckily stayed that way.

I had been up the whole night in worry and in thought. I didn't know what was to become of us. I still had weeks left to go before I would be ready for graduation. And a lot could happen in that time frame.

She could be sent away. Then it would make finding her a million times harder. How were we to escape to America if we couldn't find each other? We had to come up with some time of plan, something?

I couldn't imagine not spending our lives together. I knew that she was all I had ever known, all I ever really had. I know that the dependency on each other wasn't a good thing - it couldn't be. It went against everything Madame B taught us. And while she could be a cruel woman, there had to be a reason why she taught us it.

Everything was confusing to me. Especially now.

I could kill a man with the tip of my pinky finger but I longed for flowers and endless blue skies. I don't remember the last time I saw the sky but I longed for it. Could I have just merely been breed wrong?

And where there other places like this? Was there academies just like the Red Room but all across the world?

Did everyone know how old they are at all times? I couldn't remember how old I am. I must be close to eighteen; that's when the graduation ceremonies take place. Maybe I already have turned eighteen and I'm just not ready yet.

No, who am I kidding, I am almost ready.

Natalia stirred in her sleep, just as I started to hear noises from outside the room. I knew that the day was going to begin any second.

"Natalia, it's time to wake up." I told her.

"Nein..." She mumbled through sleep. "I am allowed a day of recovery. Madame B said I can rest today after surgery."

I pressed my lips to her forehead and closed my eyes, memorizing the feeling of her skin. I didn't want to leave the bed. I wanted to wrap myself up in the blankets and never leave.