❄B3❄ I Hate Cotton Candy

Chapter Three

Brayden

I Hate Cotton Candy

September 21

Heather’s been quieter than usual. I wonder why. When I met up with her at the airport a few days ago, it seemed like she had been crying. I was too uncomfortable to ask her why. Sometimes, I just don’t like to ask people why. I surely don’t like it when I’m brooding over something and someone’s trying to pry into why I’m brooding.

The day we moved in, I helped Heather settle into her dorm. I only brought blankets and a few clothing because my dad would be making a trip down here a few days after school starts. I met my roommate the day I moved in. I like him so far. Let’s hope that like doesn’t turn into hate a few days from now. I’ve heard of horror stories where roommates don’t clean up after themselves or leave you to do all the trash taking or vacuuming of the floor on your own.

My roommate’s name is Kane (‘Kane’ as in the Kane Hall here on campus, but he only shot me a glare when I compared him to that), and he’s a year older than I am, and is also a student in the computer science department (thank god; automatic study buddy).

Since I had a feeling Heather was upset over something, and Kane had wondered if I would be going to Dawg Daze (he wanted to tag along, even though he’s a sophomore), I finally agreed to Heather’s proposal in going to Dawg Daze together.

That decision didn’t seem to have made her any happier, though. She only merely smiled at me before stepping out of the door dressed in a pair of dark blue jeans and plaid button-down shirt.

“Is everything okay?” I decided to finally ask.

“Yeah,” she answered, almost immediately. “Why would I not be?”

“I don’t know? Maybe because you’ve been sulking for a while?”

She wrinkled her nose. “I’m not sulking,” she muttered. “What if I just have a resting sulk face?”

“Okay, okay, sorry,” I apologized. See? A reason why I don’t ask people if they’re okay.

Heather sighed, and ran a hand through her hair. “Sorry. I’m just not feeling like myself today.”

“Hopefully the Midnight Carnival will cheer you up,” I said. “I mean, I’m coming along! Yay, right?” I held up my hands and did a little ‘yay’ gesture where I oscillated my hands around for a few seconds.

A laugh escaped from her lips. “I guess.”

“I still don’t see the point in going to this, you know,” I said, as we started making our way towards the carnival. “Kane’s going to be pissed if we bump into each other there. I told him I wasn’t going, and he left with a few of his friends an hour ago.”

“I doubt we’ll bump into him. The campus is pretty big.”

“Yeah,” I said.

The Midnight Carnival took place in Red Square. It was packed with students, and the most ridiculous thing was that the lines for popcorn and cotton candy and all that shit were at least thirty minutes long.

“I’m not getting in line,” I said, stubbornly, when Heather started tugging me towards the cotton candy line.

“You don’t want cotton candy?” she asked, surprised.

“Not if I can help it. I hate sweets in general.” There was a reason why I’ve never had a single cavity in my life. My sister, on the other hand, has had at least five already. She’s obsessed with sweets, and since Esmond’s all medical and shit now, he keeps lecturing her about obesity and how sweets can cause diabetes. I guess you can say Susanna’s backed off with the sweets now.