Smidge at your Service (Part 1)

Smidge was helping Poppy setting up some supplies for scrapbooking.

Smidge said, "Geez, Poppy, how are you gonna complete 20 scrapbooks for every kingdom's library by the end of the week?"

Poppy said, "I'll get it done. I promised them I could do it and that's a promise I'm going to keep. In the meantime, I'm going to be pretty busy and I don't think I'll need any help. How about you take the week off?"

Smidge said, "Sure. I do have this list I've been meaning to do."

Smidge left the pod to do those things.

She looked at her list, "Spin myself silly."

She did that, "Check."

"Play bongos...Check."

"Lift some weights...Check."

But, that was all Smidge had on her list, "Huh. That didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would."

***

In Pop Village, Smidge just wondered around trying to think of what to do next.

She then went into the woods near Lonesome Flats for a walk.

But then, she heard some growling.

It was a Growl Beast!

Smidge ran as fast as she could, only to be cornered by two more!

Smidge yelled, "Bring it on!"

Smidge prepared her hair for battle...only to get it caught on a tree branch, leaving Smidge helpless.

Just when it looked like it was over, a rock hit one of them.

"COME AND GET ME, YOU BIG GOONS!"

It was Delta Dawn, who shouted to Smidge as she threw another rock, "Run!"

Smidge immediately ran out of the way while the Growl Beasts chased after her.

Delta was then able to lead them to the ravine, where they fell into the river at the bottom when Delta moved out of the way.

She then met up with Smidge, who said, "Delta Dawn! That was amazing! I didn't think I could handle it until you came! I mean, you saved my life!"

She then paused and said again, "You...saved my life."

She then hugged Delta, who said, "It's no problem, Smidge. Sure was glad I was in the woods looking for some wood for repairing the town."

Smidge said, "How about if I help you?"

Delta replied, "Sure"

***

Smidge accompanied Delta back to Lonesome Flats and gave the wood to the builder Country Trolls to get them started on the repairs.

Delta said, "Thanks, Smidge, for helping me carry the wood. Now, I've got my own chores to do. You can go home."

Smidge asked, "What chores? I'll do them."

Delta said, "Thank you, Smidge, but you don't have to-"

Smidge said, "It's the least I can do. You saved my life. I need to repay the favor."

Delta said, "Shoot, Smidge. That's what friends do for each other. You don't need to repay the favor."

Smidge just said, "Delta, you don't understand. This is something I really need to do."

Delta finally caved in, "Alright, I was gonna help Clampers clean the buffalo, but I suppose you can help her instead."

Smidge said thanks and ran off to help Clampers.

***

Not too later, Delta stopped by the pen to see perfectly clean buffalo.

Delta said, "Nice job, you two."

Clampers said, "Thanks, Aunt Delta."

Delta said, "Smidge, I suppose this makes us even-steven. You can head on home."

But, Smidge said, "What? Oh, no. We're not even close to being even-steven. There must be something else I can do. Please?"

Delta said, "Smidge, I really don't think-"

"Please?"

"Really. You don't have to-"

"Pretty please?"

"Smidge, for real. You don't-"

"Pretty, pretty, pretty please?"

Delta finally said, "Fine. You can help Growly Pete and I make some..."

***

"Pies! Pies! I'm helping Delta make some pies!"

But, when Smidge 'helped' for only two minutes, the whole kitchen was already a huge mess.

Delta finally stopped Smidge for a moment, "Appreciate all your help today, sugar cube, but I can take it from here."

But, Smidge said, "Don't be silly. It is my honor and my duty. Today is just the beginning."

Delta then asked confused, "What's that now?"

Smidge said, "You saved my life. And according to the 'Smidge the Helper' code, I owe you a life debt and must serve you."

Delta then said, "Now, what about Queen Poppy? Doesn't she need your help?"

Smidge said, "Oh, you're right. I'd better go break the news to Poppy."

***

Smidge made it to Poppy's pod. But, Poppy was too busy with the scrapbooks to even listen to anything Smidge had to say, so every time she said something, Poppy would just say, "Mmm-hmm." So, Smidge just assumed Poppy was ok with it.

***

Delta and Growly Pete had finished cleaning the kitchen when Smidge came back and said, "She said it was ok."

Both asked, "Really?"

Smidge answered, "Yep. So, with Poppy's blessing, I am free to follow my code and serve you until...Well, until forever."