Secrets and Surprises (Part 1)

Poppy always knows how to throw a great party. Whether it's a birthday party, holiday party, or just a general party for having fun. But, there can be times when friends can't come for their own reasons. But, they always have the best reasons for not showing.

***

It was one week after Poppy's 'New Hair's Eve' party. Poppy decided to invite everyone over again for an 'after-party' party. And she decided she would instead just approach each kingdom individually instead of writing letters.

***

In Vibe City, she approached the Funk Family and invited them.

However, their response was, "This afternoon? As in this afternoon this afternoon?"

Poppy said, "Yep."

Queen Essence said, "Sorry, Poppy, wish we could, but we have to...clean the ship. And that's probably gonna take all day."

Poppy said it was cool and set off for Lonesome Flats.

***

Poppy invited Delta, but her response was, "As in this afternoon this afternoon?"

Poppy said, "Hey, that's funny. That's exactly what the Funk family asked."

Delta then said, "I'm a might sorry, sugar, but we can't make it because we...gotta harvest the fields."

Poppy said, "Okie dokie. A party is still a party, even with only four tribes."

***

Poppy was starting to get a little suspicious when she invited Trollzart.

Trollzart said, "I have to wash my hair."

***

Poppy saw Barb and Trollex hanging out together and went to invite them, but they had the funniest excuse.

Barb said, "Oh, man! We'd love to, but... we're... house-sitting this afternoon."

Poppy asked, "Both of you?"

Trollex said, "It's... uh... a big house."

Barb then said, "Uh, look at the time! We'd really better get going."

But, Poppy said, "Wait! Maybe I could bring you some after-birthday cake and ice-cream. Who're you house-sitting for?"

Barb responded, "Harry."

Poppy asked, "Harry?"

Barb responded, "Yeah, I don't think you know him."

Poppy was a little confused, "That's strange. I know just about every Troll around here."

Trollex then said, "He's... a Growl Beast."

Poppy was really confused, "A Growl Beast?"

Barb said, "Yup! He's a Growl Beast all right, and he'll be pretty upset if we don't get over to his house soon."

Poppy stopped them again, "Wait! There's a Growl Beast around here who lives in a house?"

Trollex answered, "It's, uh, really more of a cave."

Barb added, "But he's fixed up the place so much, it feels like a house."

Trollex then added, "And, uh, he wants us to look after his house... uh, cave... while he's, uh..."

Barb finished that sentence with, "A-at the beach!"

Poppy asked, "He's vacationing at the beach?"

Barb replied, "Yup! He loves to..."

They then said things at the same time,

Trollex:
"Collect sea shells!
...Play beach volleyball!
...Collect volleyballs!"

Barb:
"Play beach volleyball!
...Collect sea shells!
...Play sea shells!"

"Gotta go!"

They then left Poppy, who was more confused than ever.

***

Poppy was a little disappointed, but not too disappointed because she knew she could just have the party with her Pop Trolls.

She went right over to Branch's bunker to invite him, but Branch's response was, "I can't. I have to restock on rations."

Poppy said, "But, your shelves are completely full of rations."

Branch said, "Yeah, for the first 10 years. I'm restocking for the second 10 years."

Poppy then gave a look of suspicion, "Ok."

She then went to the Snack Pack.

Biggie said, "Sorry, Poppy, but I have to give Mr. D his bath."

"Meep."

Guy said, "I'd really love to, but Tiny needs his nap."

Tiny said, "Yeah, ready to get my nap on!"

DJ Suki said, "I have to reorganize my record drawer."

Satin and Chenille said, "We have to fix holes in some of our clothes."

Smidge said, "I have to lift some weights."

Legsly said, "I have to do some leg exercises."

And Cooper said, "I have to help my family with some chores today."

Poppy was really suspicious now.

***

Back in her pod, Poppy thought about everything everyone had said.

"'Washing hair?' 'House-sitting?' 'Lifting weights?' 'Fixing holes?' The more I think about it, the more these are starting to sound like...*gasp*...excuses!"

However, when she looked outside, she saw Branch sneaking about on tiptoes, like he didn't want to be seen.

"That doesn't look like restocking to me."

Poppy then decided to find out what he was up to.