Bog Beasts (Part 1)

It's true that while fear does do a small part in keeping us alive, fear can also keep us from seeing the truth. The only way to see the truth is to confront your fears. Me and my friends learned that the hard way.

***

Branch was working on stocking firewood in his bunker.

Branch said, "You know, Gary, I think we've got enough firewood to last us the next five seasons."

Just then, Poppy came into the bunker, "Branch, my father needs to see you."

In King Peppy's pod, King Peppy waited anxiously for Branch and Poppy to come.

When they finally came, Peppy said, "Honey, thanks for bringing Branch. Branch, the Bergens went through the Troll Tree and found a priceless artifact."

Branch said, "That's wonderful, but what does it have to do with me?"

Peppy answered, "When they tried to deliver it to Pop Village, the deliver truck went over a big pothole, which caused the package to fall out of the truck and somewhere in a bog a few miles from here. And knowing you as a master tracker, I need you to search for it."

Branch said, "Don't worry. Finding a package in a bog is like finding a book on a bookshelf."

Poppy and Peppy looked at him with confusion.

Branch said, "That means it'll be easy."

"Ohhh."

Branch then said, "But to do this, I'm gonna need some help."

***
Branch had assembled a small crew of Poppy, Hickory and Dickory, the K-Pop gang, and the Reggaeton Trolls.

Dickory asked, "What are we here for again?"

Branch said, "Friends, I've gathered you here because you are the best of the best at tracking and I need you all to come with Poppy and me to a bog near Bergen Town to find a special package."

Wani said, "Sure, I guess we could use a little adventure."

Tresillo said, "Agreed, mon."

Hickory said, "Sure thing."

***

The troupe had finally made it to the bog.

Poppy said, "Spread out. Search every inch of this bog until the package is secure."

Poppy then took out a flare, "Remember; if you find the package, use your flare and we'll find you."

They all went off into different directions.

***

Wani asked the other girls, "Any luck?"

Ari said, "Nah. And this humidity is doing horrendous things to my hair!"

Baby-Bun said, "Get over yourself."

***

Tresillo asked Marimba and Tombora, "Ustedes chicas lo ven ya?"

Marimba answered, "No. Pero espero que no tarde mucho más. Este lugar es espeluznante."

***

The search had taken hours until everyone saw a flare used by the Yodeler brothers.

Everyone quickly ran to the direction of where they saw the flare.

Once they got there, they saw Hickory holding the package addressed to King Peppy.

Poppy said, "Great work, you two!"

Wani said, "Sweet!"

Tresillo said, "Good job, mon."

Dickory said, "Thanks! It was nothing!"

Branch then said, "Ok, we've got the package, now let's go. I don't like the looks of this place."

But, just before anyone had a chance to leave, they all heard a strange noise.

Wani asked, "What was that?"

Hickory said, "I'm not sure. But, let's not wait around to find out."

Just then, a huge cloud of smoke appeared out of the sky and went towards the group.

Everyone screamed as they were surrounded by smoke.

When the smoke had disappeared, everyone sighed.

But, Branch looked down to discover..."The package! It's gone!"

Poppy said, "Oh, no! Dad's priceless artifact was in that package!"

Branch then said, "Well, I say we just go to Pop Village and tell him what happened."

Not willing to have the others go up against whatever came at them, Poppy agreed and they left for Pop Village.

***

King Peppy was speaking with the other leaders and the Snack Pack while waiting for the troupe to return.

Peppy said, "I hope they didn't open that package yet."

Queen Essence said, "Your daughter is a brilliant and trustworthy young queen. I'm sure it'll be fine."

When they came in, Peppy said, "Wonderful! You're all back! Now, let's open the...wait, where's the package?"

Branch told King Peppy what had happened and his response was, "It sounds like you were attacked by... The Bog Beast! It always comes in a puff of smoke and takes the most valuable thing its victims have on them."

Tiny said, "Man, that's creepy!"

Branch then said, "Sorry we lost your artifact, King Peppy, but I'm sure you can replace it."

King Peppy said, "No, Branch. I can't replace it. This artifact was one of a kind. But, I don't mean just in terms of how it was made."

Branch was confused, "What?"

King Peppy then looked at Branch with a sad look and said, "Branch, the priceless artifact in that package wasn't mine. It was yours."

Branch then looked at him with confusion, "Mine? But, I never left anything in the Troll Tree when we escaped from Bergen Town. Well, I mean, except for Crocko and Poppy gave him to me for my quarter birthday."

King Peppy said, "That's because it's not 'yours' yours. It belonged.....

.....to your grandmother."

Everyone in the room gasped.