Smidge at your Service (Part 3)

Delta asked Smidge to meet her right outside the woods for her plan.

Smidge said, "What do you need me to do, milady?"

Delta said, "I would just like you to rake those leaves."

As Smidge started, she said, "Okie dokie. Oh, by the way, there are exactly 1,567,950 grains of sand in the town of Lonesome Flats."

Delta's response was, "I can't believe you counted every single one of them."

Delta then winked at Barb, who was hiding with Branch behing a nearby bush.

Smidge said, "Well, you did ask me to. And as a noble helper and follower of my helper code, I-"

Smidge was suddenly cut off by a really loud roar.

The roar was made by Barb.

Poppy and Trollex came running out of the forest, yelling, "Growl Beast! Run for your lives!"

From behind the bush, Branch was using a game controller to control...a Growl Beast robot.

It was pretty lifelike, so Smidge bought it.

Delta then placed one of her hooves between two rocks and said, "Oh, no. I seem to have gotten my hoof stuck in between two rocks. I cannot run away. I am a damsel in distress. Help me, Smidge."

A Growl Beast got really close, and Smidge got really scared.

But then, Smidge said, "Wait a minute."

Delta said, "No, don't wait a minute. Save me from the terrifying Growl Beast."

Smidge said, "He would be terrifying if he wasn't...a fake. You got the color right, the roar was spot on, and the detail on his face is pretty good. But, you've forgotten one thing...he's alone. Growl Beasts travel in packs of at least three."

But then, both heard more than one growl of a Growl Beast.

Smidge just chuckled and said, "Too late. I'm already onto-"

But then, Branch threw the game controller and he and Barb ran out screaming, "Growl Beasts!"

Three Growl Beasts came out of the woods and came towards the two.

Delta shouted, "All the commotion with the robot must've drawn them in."

As Smidge starting running, Delta got on top of a nearby rock pile and threw the biggest rock at them, knocking them down. Once they were down, Delta fell off the pile and a huge rock fell on her hoof.

But, the Growl Beasts started to get back up.

Smidge shouted, "Delta, come on! Let's go!"

But, it became pretty clear that Delta really was stuck this time. When they finally got back up, Delta yelled at Smidge to run away.

The Growl Beasts then charged at Delta, but Smidge knew she had to help, so she used her hair as whip and whipped them back, shouting ,"Back! Back! Back, you awful beasts!"

She had finally whipped them enough to get them to run away. She then helped Delta remove the rock and both ran as far away as they could.

They had finally caught up with the others and Trollex asked, "What happened? I thought you were right behind us."

Delta answered, "My hoof was stuck and Smidge was able to whip those critters into next Tuesday and save my life!"

Smidge said, "Aw, it was nothing."

Delta then said, "It was something all right. Of course, I wouldn't have needed help if I hadn't been trying to stage a fake attack in the first place."

Smidge asked, "Yeah, what was all that about?"

Delta responed, "Look, I know this helper code's important to you, but if something like this comes up in the future, think maybe we can go back to my code, saying that's what friends do and leave it at that? I promise I won't think of you as any less noble."

Smidge finally agreed and went back to being Poppy's right-hand Troll.

***

That night, Poppy was working on the scrapbooks and had a hard time seeing until Smidge came with a light.

Poppy said, "Thanks, Smidge."

"Happy to help."

"Don't know what I'd do without you."

Smidge then hugged Poppy and said, "No, really. I'm really, really, really happy to help you."

Poppy laughed.