Chapter 14

After the morning had passed and Katniss had said nothing about the night's information, Peeta had decided to keep it to himself, at least for now. He had decided that he would bring it up when Katniss was ready.

Katniss couldn't sleep the past nights, so she went into Peeta's room. She wished she had known the comfort that sitting with him all night had brought her before now.

Tonight, she sat beside his bed at her usual spot, and occasionally when she couldn't hold herself back, she brushed his long hair out of his face. She valued this time, watching him lay so peaceful, and it made her look at him more, not differently but with detail.

She saw that he had a small scare just above his eyebrow that she had never noticed. As she stared at it, she wondered if it was from the games or just ordinary life.

As the night went on, she noticed that he would clench his fists ever couple of minutes during his deep sleep. His face would remain calm along with the rest of his body, but his hands were closed tightly together.

Every time she witnessed this, Katniss wanted to reach her hand out and help him relax, but that meant waking him up, which was not an option. So, she sat there, watching as the nightmare or scare passed.

As Peeta woke that morning, he looked down to see that Katniss was asleep beside his bed. He had heard her sneak in these past nights when she believed he was asleep, but she had never stayed for him to wake from his sleep.

He looked down at her peaceful face that rested against his bed. Her mouth was slightly open as her breath remained slow. Peeta couldn't help the smile that formed on his face from watching her, but as she began to stir, he pretended to sleep. This was for Katniss, not himself, he knew the embarrassment she'd feel if he was awake.

Katniss woke and looked around, not seeing her room's scenery, she became confused. When she moved her head around and looked over at Peeta, who's head was squished against a pillow, she quickly stood. Katniss quickly realized that she had fallen asleep watching him.

She sprinted out the door and down the stairs, hoping she was unseen. As she reached the counter, her mind was racing if he had woken to her asleep beside him. Then, as her breathing slowed, she remembered it was Friday. She had planned to do something special for Peeta.

She glanced around the kitchen and decided she should try to make breakfast for him as well. As she walked towards the flour that he had left out the night before, she took a hand-full of it and spread it across the counter. She, then, went into the refrigerator and grabbed the premade dough.

As she rolled it around and tried softening it, she did not feel the calmness that Peeta had always talked about. She was getting frustrated as her hands seem to do nothing but make the dough harder.

Katniss's body shook as she felt a hand being placed on top of hers. She looked back behind her as he spoke.

"Need help?" Peeta's voice was soft even though he had felt the shock of Katniss's actions. His same smooth voice seemed to calm Katniss's sudden nerves. Katniss stepped back and Peeta immediately retracked his hand, not confused by her actions but slightly sadden by them.

"It's not working. I'm doing exactly what you told me to do, and it not softening the dough." Katniss said with annoyance and a huff of haste. He tried to hide the soft laughter that erupted in his stomach.

"You have to be patience, Katniss." Peeta said as a small laugh escaped. He turned back towards the dough and ushered with his hands for Katniss to do the same. Katniss followed his gaze and rested her hand back on top of the cold, firm dough.

Katniss huffed softly in frustration as Peeta stepped behind her. His hand went over hers and he started to move the dough under the fingers. Katniss felt her hand tingle as his soft hand remained on top of hers.

He then stepped behind her, rested his other hand on top of hers. Peeta's body was against hers as he looked over her shoulder. His body pressed against hers, made her body heat up in a way that she had never experienced. It was a warmth that comforted her, and she never wanted it to end. Peeta then started to whisper slowly.

"You need to massage the dough, not so much push." He began rubbing the dough deeper under their joined hands, and Katniss had let him. She kept her hand stationary, only letting Peeta dictate the dough's movement. "You see." He whispered lightly as he took their hand off of the dough. Katniss looked down the softened dough.

"How do you do that?" Katniss said with awe. She was always amazed by the way that no matter what Peeta did, it seemed so effortless and came out perfect. She felt a small smile form on her face as her eyes met his, and she watched as he chuckled at her expression.

"You just need to bite gentler with the dough." He stepped back, removing his hands, his body, and the warmth Katniss now longed for. His wide smile made Katniss laugh. She looked down at her floured hands. When her head lifted back up and faced him, her smile was shy.

"You've always been the gentle one." She whispered bashful by his kindness. Peeta smiled wider as he walked towards the dough. She allowed him to begin preparing breakfast since she had done nothing but waste time. Katniss walked to the side of the counter and watched him, feeling she had fail the one thing she was trying to accomplish; make Peeta breakfast.

"We're not done, yet." Peeta said as he looked over towards Katniss. She had expected him to take over, since she had done such an awful job. But when he spoke, she was beyond grateful for his patience and invitation. His kind eyes watched as she continued, but he found himself glances more at her beautiful features. Her eyes were now fuller and had a certain happiness to them.