5. In the Snake's Den

A/N: Above is how I pictured Ren. I did not draw this :) Credit belongs to an anonymous artist. Vote, leave some comments, and all that nice stuff. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it!! I would appreciate any feedback.

"You can't stop me, old man

"You can't stop me, old man." Ren groaned as he tilted over the railing, dry heaving as the ship rocked dangerously to the side. He glared at the dark roaring waves of the Wasted Sea. The sea rose in mountainous grey waves causing the ship to creak loudly. Ren swallowed the bile in his mouth. Never had he wished to land on his cursed homeland as badly as he did now.

"You know," Galen said while pulling Ren away from the side of the ship with a strong hand. "There's nothing to gain from idiocy. When we land, we part ways. Enough of this childish behavior, Ren."

"Childish?" Ren inquired in a dangerously soft voice. He wiped his mouth with the sleeve of his black shirt. "You should know better."

Galen's dark eyes softened with understanding, and the wrinkles on his forehead smoothed out. He placed his hands on the sides of Ren's face, which was a sickly shade of green. Galen's hands emitted a soft white light as his healing magic rushed to the surface. "I refuse to take all of it away. I don't wish to share all of your seasickness."

"Thanks, old man." Ren sat down on the deck, leaning back against the side of the captain's quarters.

The ship contained only a few passengers on the ship beside Galen and him. Few wanted to go to the Kan Kingdom unless they lived there or had to for the sake of business. Ren didn't blame them either. The last place he wanted to be was back at the place where his life was ruined. He couldn't imagine where he would have ended up without the old man.

Galen sat down next to Ren, folding his hands in his lap as he stared out at the angry sea. "They say there's never been a peaceful moment on the Wasted Seas. If the waves aren't constantly battling you, then it's the scavengers looking to overtake your ship."

Ren pulled down on the hood of his cloak, hiding his newly black hair. He had dyed it a reddish-brown color in an attempt to rid himself of his Kantian features. But now that they were returning to Kan, he had reverted to his old hair color. He wanted that spiteful wench to remember exactly who he was. Galen's attempt to distract him with random facts about the Wasted Sea made the scowl on his face deepen.

"I'm going to help you save them," Ren said, drawing Galen's attention. The dark clouds overhead flashed with lightning at his sentence, as if the gods had their own opinion about it. Ren's jaw clenched at the thought. As if gods existed.

"And you have no ulterior motives?" Galen pressed, his voice rough.

Ren smirked. "I won't lie to you, old man. If I see any opportunity, I'm burying my axe as far into her throat as I can bloody get it."

"Please." Galen flinched at the violent words. "Let me speak to her first. She's not this person, Ren."

"Are you delusional?" Ren questioned, resting his hands over his raised knee as he turned his narrowed blue eyes on Galen. "She's a tyrant, for skies' sake. There's no turning back for that woman, if you can even call her that."