22. A Bloody Massacre (Part 3: Until Death) Continued

A wall of orange and red fire went up between the two of them

A wall of orange and red fire went up between the two of them. Aydin jumped back. His eyes widened with surprise. He gasped for breath as the heat from the flames struck him. The wind fluttered through his hair right before a tan boomerang came twirling past his head and through the fire.

Aydin watched as the queen put up a shield. The boomerang hammered through it. Queen Liliana ducked in the nick of time as the weapon swirled back behind Aydin.

He looked over his shoulder to see Sephirah's nimble fingers grab it. King Chancellor came flying toward them, enclosed in a circular dome of water. Aydin ran toward Sephirah, ducking out of the way as high-pressure sprays of water shot out of the outline of the dome.

The ground shook as he reached Sephirah, who nodded at him before he could thank her. Magic pressure slammed down on them so strong that they both dropped to their knees. Aydin's heart hammered in his chest. His muscles screamed with the effort to stand. He turned his head and coughed as a cloud of thick dust hit him in the face.

Deep roars echoed, and a hissing sound accompanied it. Aydin strained his eyes, Sephirah's coughs stirring the dust in front of them.

The magical pressure released, leaving him lightheaded. His vision went hazy as he stood, blinking until it cleared. Sephirah rose at his side, hand waving in an attempt to clear the air.

As the dust settled, Aydin could hear someone laughing softly. A familiar grunt filled with pain reverberated in his eardrums. Aydin's heart leaped into his throat as fear, coupled with rising panic, sent a wave of desperation through him.

No.

The word repeated itself like a mantra inside his mind until his lips were mouthing it. Finally, the dust dissipated, and he saw the queen standing over his father, who lay on the ground.

Unmoving.

Dizziness hit him as hard as a galloping horse. Aydin stumbled forward; his vision focused on his father's prone figure.

King Chancellor's sword was in the queen's hand. A deep, ragged cut went across the king's chest, blood soaking the ground around the pair.

Swords stopped clashing. Armor ceased clanking against each other. Even the flames at their sides no longer flickered. Everything had stilled for a slight moment.

One moment and everything had fallen apart.

Aydin's eyes burned as they filled with unshed tears. Despair sunk its dark claws into his chest, while anger swarmed and buzzed in his mind. He couldn't decipher the turmoil of emotions that spread through him, each fighting to take over.

The queen's laughter grew louder, and she tilted her head back to let it out to the skies. Aydin settled on his growing anger, letting it burn out the grief that was trying to break him down.