12. Kingdoms Will Fall (Part 1)

A/N: Slightly mature content ahead?? I wouldn't call it mature but there is sexual content implied. I mean, I think you guys should start expecting that whenever you see Aydin's name pop up lol. Don't forget to vote and comment! Enjoy the story <3

Aydin entered the throne room, taking a deep breath of fresh air that was still tinged with the scent of carnage

Aydin entered the throne room, taking a deep breath of fresh air that was still tinged with the scent of carnage. He doubted he could get rid of the horrid smells of battle and slaughter that haunted his senses. It clung to him like a woman trying to gain his affection and not in a good way.

He bowed at his father, noting the empty throne seat. "Where is mother?"

"In her quarters. She has been notified of your return." His father leaned forward in his seat. The hilt of the sword protruding from his belt glistened with the light of a topaz gemstone. "Proceed with your report."

"It appears you have underestimated Queen Liliana's strategic ruthlessness," Aydin said, maintaining eye contact despite the fury crossing his father's face. "The raid on the village was her doing and nothing but a distraction. Kantian soldiers from that raid hid amongst our citizens in Raworth Pier. They revealed themselves after their fellow soldiers arrived by ship to join the battle."

He paused in his report, breaking eye contact to pick at the rips in his tunic. One of his favorite shirts was now soaked in enemy blood and ripped to tatters. His father cleared his throat, and Aydin strapped his spear onto his back, shoving out his shield to a nearby guard to return to the armory.

"We were faced with around eighty men, and our casualties in total is expected to exceed a hundred." Aydin's throat tightened as he added, "They're still counting the bodies of the citizens. Of our platoon, we lost twenty-eight men."

King Chancellor's face paled, and he rubbed his temple with a finger. "We must help the families who have suffered losses during this time—be it family members or businesses. I will contact the merchants of the market town and discuss a plan. Now is the time to rally everyone willing to aid in this war."

"Of course, father," Aydin agreed. He wanted to keep their interaction short. He craved a nice warm bath and time alone to mourn his men. The same men Aydin had laughed and joked with before the peace he'd known all his life was destroyed. A peace that had lulled them into a web of comfort and negligence for years.

Aydin blew out a long breath, grabbing his father's attention. "You've done well, son. At first light, a meeting will be held with the War Council."

"I must inform you of one more development," Aydin's jaw clenched as Sabrina's face flashed in his mind. "The woman's vision came to fruition. I met two Kantians who were both contributing factors to our win today. I've brought them to the castle, and they're awaiting my escort from the stables if you would allow it."

"Kantians?" The grief and hard-set determination on King Chancellor's face transformed into suspicion. The look vanished as quickly as Aydin saw it. Aydin blinked as exhaustion made his vision blur. "There will be a feast tonight in celebration of your victory. If what you've said is correct, then they will be escorted to it as well. Go take care of yourself."