Joke 7

Physicists Werner Heisenberg and Georg Simon Ohm are driving a Volta, speeding it down a freeway.

They get pulled over. Heisenberg is driving and the cop asks him "Do you know how fast you were going?"

"No, but I know exactly where I am" Heisenberg replies.

The cop says "You were doing 100 km an hour." Heisenberg throws up his hands and shouts "Great! Now I'm lost!"

The cop moves in to arrest them. Ohm resists.

Ohm just doesn't want to face such strong charges.

Explanation (for those who had some resistance understanding it):

This is a joke based on two important results in physics: the uncertainty principle and Ohm's law.

Given in 1927 by the German physicist Werner Heisenberg, the uncertainty principle states that the more precisely the position of a subatomic particle is determined, the less precisely its momentum can be predicted from initial conditions, and vice versa.

Mathematically,

Δp Δx ≥ h/4π {where h is the Planck's constant and is equal to 6.6 × 10^(−34) J s}

It is to be noted that this uncertainty is negligible for macroscopic objects.

Heisenberg in the joke doesn't act like he's aware of it.

So at the beginning he tells the cop he knows his destination (position) not his speed (momentum). Once the cop tells him his speed, then Heisenberg immediately loses his position/where he is going. Just your typical Heisenberg.

Georg Ohm in the early 19th century discovered the law named after him. According to Ohm's law, current across two ends of an electrical conductor (more specifically, ohmic conductors) is directly proportional to voltage supplied, at constant temperature. From Ohm's law,

V = IR, where R is a proportionality constant called the resistance of the conductor.

The unit of electrical resistance is ohms (denoted by the Greek letter Ω).

The electrical resistance of an object is a measure of its opposition to the flow of electric current. Materials that satisfy Ohm's law are called ohmic materials. Exceptions include semiconductors.

In this joke, not wanting to face strong "charges", both the electrical and the legal kind, Ohm resists.

Did you get the Volta reference?

Electrical based jokes always have the most potential.

LOL.