13. Overwork, Waiting

1018 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written May 22 2020
Posted June 8 2020

Kaito let out a tired sigh as he crouched in front of the toilet. He'd pushed his magic too far, but had managed to stop before he passed out. The magician was tempted to just shoot out magic until he did pass out because then he'd just have to deal with feeling weak when he woke up instead of the current nausea he was feeling now.

Weary indigos glanced around before he lowered his head, no, he couldn't do that. Passing out on the bathroom floor would be disgusting, even if he knew that said bathrooms were cleaned properly a few times a day. Not to mention that if he just randomly shot off magic outside of the washroom, there was a chance that it could be spotted. His healing could be subtle only due to the fact that he had something to focus the output on.

So instead of making himself pass out, he spent the next half hour squatting by the toilet wishing that he could just pass out. He didn't regret saving the guy who'd been in a car accident. The guy would have died for sure without a magical intervention, he just wished that the side effects didn't suck so much.

Years ago he would have passed out long before he'd been able to heal enough to ensure that the guy had a chance so at least that was something. Healing magic just takes significantly longer to master than normal magic, or at least that's what Akako had told him.

His brows knit together in thought as he contemplated what Akako wanted from him this time. The red witch rarely sought him out for anything specifically, so he couldn't help but feel a little worried. What if she wanted his blood for some weird potion again? Apparently his blood made potions more stronger than most blood.

A knock on the bathroom stall shook him out of his thoughts "You okay Kaito?" Nowaki called through the door.

A small smile tugged at the magician's lips "Yeah, the nausea is starting to fade a bit" If only he could heal it, but considering the reason for said nausea, he doubted that it would work. It'd probably just make it worse.

Nowaki stared at the door concerned "Just take your time" Rushing could just make it worse "I'll cover for you in the meantime" He'd scarfed down his lunch before going to check on the other since Kaito's break was almost over. It was the least he could do since Kaito was only like this because he'd saved a life.

"Thank you" Kaito breathed "I owe you" If he stood up now, he'd probably throw up. He wasn't too fond of the idea of testing that theory out.

The other doctor grinned "Make some of that chicken, broccoli and cheese casserole and bring it in some time" He offered, remembering that one time Kaito had been in a rush and had taken the wrong leftovers "Both me and Hiro-san really enjoyed" His boyfriend had been enthralled by it's taste "I don't know how you manage to make it taste so good" He'd failed when he'd followed the recipe Kaito had given him.

Kaito snickered, indigos gleaming "I'm good at cooking" He'd practised diligently until he was confident that he wouldn't end up poisoning himself or Saguru.

Nowaki rolled his eyes, ignoring the implication of Kaito saying that he couldn't cook "Well I've got to get back to work" He stated "Hope you start feeling better soon" He breathed before leaving the washroom.

Saguru eyed the docks, feeling wary of the situation as he and Shinichi waited for the kidnapper. He was laying flat on his stomach atop a stack of large shipping crates while Shinichi was doing the same on a stack to the left. If living with Kaito had taught him anything, it was that people usually didn't think to look up.

The kidnapper had thankfully called in for a ransom, and this was the meeting place. Despite how a voice changer had been used, it meant nothing if they knew where the criminal was going to show up. They knew that it wasn't the work of a group just due to how long it had taken for the ransom call to actually be made. If there was a partner, one of them would have called while the other hid Megumi.

The child's father, Reiko Matsuo, was going to drop off the ransom at the appointed location in a half hour or so while the two detectives waited to catch the culprit when he came to pick up the cash. There were also some other officers in civilian clothes a short while away, ready to come running the moment they were called.

Neither of the detectives had a guess as to who the kidnapper could be due to everyone's alibis, making them believe that it was someone who wasn't connected to the victims at all. The Reiko family was apparently very rich and apparently often looked the part. It wouldn't have been odd for someone to decide to attempt to get money out of them.

A small shiver ran through the blond, snapping him out of his thoughts. A light drizzle had begun to fall about 10 minutes ago, making him regret not putting on a coat before leaving the house. It was too close to the time so they were both stuck there until the kidnapper came since it would look too suspicious for them to be there. The two of them were both well known detectives after all.

Gold softened with sympathy when he noted that Shinichi was enduring the same predicament as him. The rain was cold, and neither of them were moving enough to keep warm. He could already hear Kaito scolding the two of them for not taking better care of themselves when they got back.

Shinichi grimaced, he was completely soaked and his bandages felt utterly disgusting. They were now doing nothing but pitifully clinging to his injuries so he swiftly removed them. The water was softening his injuries so he didn't want the bandages to get in them if they opened then closed again after drying.

Me: Poor Kaito is stuck squatting near a toilet while Saguru and Shinichi are stuck in the rain~

The troubles of growing stronger and being detectives~

Hope you enjoyed~

I snack on cereal instead of junk foods because cereal is cheap and filled with nutrients >^< Cheerios~ Raison bran~ Life~ so tasty~