THE BOARDERS: 52

Sam

"This is not happening." My voice is tight and I sound like a bitch, but I cannot believe what I'm hearing. We've gone through hell and back, Lo and I, and now that I finally have her—now that things are finally getting good—her mom is here to bring her back to California? Fuck this. I'm about to say so when the door opens to reveal Somers, looking bewildered and nervous and sexy as all hell. Just glancing at her, I can hear the sounds she made as she went to pieces below me, and I find myself itching to disappear with her back into the hotel room, lock the door behind us, and finish what we'd started. The need is so extreme I have to bite my tongue to refocus my brain.

"You look like sex," Mrs. Somers says, looking Logan up and down.

This pronouncement is a surprise, and my eyes jerk to her. In my periphery, I can see my mother's do the same.

"What are you doing here?" Logan asks, wrapping a hand around herself. She's trying to appear unaffected, but I can tell the fact that her mom noticed bugs her. It bugs me too. This is the first thing Mrs. Somers has to say upon seeing her daughter after nearly three months? That's total crap.

"Logan," my mom steps toward my girl, reaching out a hand. "I know this is a little surprising. After we talked last week, I thought you might want—"

"I knew you needed me, Lo, baby. So I came."

"You...?" Somers' question trails off, her eyes darting between my mom and hers. I can practically hear what she's asking, even without her saying it, so I shape the words, directing them first at my own mother.

"You took it upon yourself to call Mrs. Somers, even after Logan said she didn't want you to?"

My mom looks taken aback. "She didn't say that, though." She looks to Lo for confirmation. "When you and I were talking the other day, you mentioned wanting adult support, family support. I thought it would help to have your mother here. Did I misunderstand?"

From the look on Logan's face, she sure as hell did, but Lo's too polite to say so. She's still grimacing as she says quietly, "No. I did want that."

"As soon as I heard you needed me, I hopped right on a plane, baby. Didn't I, Sonia?" Lo's mother looks to mine, expecting validation. I try to tamp down my rising ire at this woman. I've heard Logan talk about her only a few times in the months that I've known her, and never positively. I'm starting to see why. Mrs. Somers has the distinct look of someone who's only recently woken up from a long rendezvous with a box of wine, her face drawn and pale. She's clad in skin-tight yoga pants and a loose, flowing top with Beverly Hills Yogini written in script on the back. Her long hair is dyed six shades lighter than it should be, and the roots are coming in—dark brown flecked with gray. She looks like Lo, but also not.

Lo reaches a hand for me and both moms watch as she tucks her fingers into mine. Mrs. Somers seems to take this gesture as confirmation of something and she nods, taking a step toward her daughter.

"I'm here to take you home, honey. Let's go."

"What? No." Lo's grip tightens on me. I squeeze her hand back, letting her know that I've got her.

Mrs. Somers smiles, a sad, you-don't-understand-but-you-will smile. I bristle with the patronization on her face. "Logan, honey. Sonia filled me in on what happened with the Ott boy. He always was a loose cannon." She shakes her head, muttering, "Goodness, the stories Bill had about his anger..."

"Mom," Logan snaps.

Mrs. Somers shrugs, either unaware of or uncaring why Lo is annoyed. "What I'm saying is, I should have known he was going to be trouble. I should never have let you come back here." Her voice fills with a world-weary sadness. "Salisbury has been nothing but terrible to us, but our time here is over now. For good. Go get in the car."